Data protection bodies
The bodies responsible for protecting personal data are the:
- National Data Protection Authorities
- European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS)
- European Commission's Data Protection Officer
National data protection authorities
This section contains contact details for National Data Protection Authorities in:
- EU28 countries (redirects to the Article 29 Working Party section)
- European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries
- Candidate countries
- Countries outside the EU (Third countries)
European Data Protection Supervisor
The Regulation on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by EU institutions establishes a European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS).
This is an independent EU body responsible for monitoring the application of data protection rules within European Institutions and for investigating complaints.
EU Data Protection Officer
A Data Protection Officer (DPO) in every EU institution and body works closely with the EDPS to ensure the internal application of the Regulation on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by EU institutions.