To make this site work properly, we sometimes place small data files called cookies on your device. Most big websites do this.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small text file that a website saves on your computer or mobile device when you visit the site. It enables the website to remember your actions and preferences (such as login, language, font size and other display preferences) over a period of time, so you don't have to keep re-entering them whenever you come back to the site or browse from one page to another.
The pages of the Justice Europa website ("ec.europa.eu/justice/") use a number of cookies. The purpose and nature of each cookie is explained below:
- [FontSize] Purpose: to record your display preferences, such as contrast colour settings or font size. These cookies are critical for the user experience and accessibility of the website*. This cookie is a session-based and first party cookie. It is controlled by the website: ec.europa.eu.
- ReadSpeaker [ReadSpeakerHL/ReadSpeakerHLspeed/ReadSpeakerHLicon] Purpose: To provide a "read text aloud" service and allow users to control the highlighting/setting options (speed of the reader, words or sentences only etc.)…. This cookie lasts four days before being erased automatically (permanent cookie based) and is controlled by ReadSpeaker.com (third-party cookie based).
- [JSESSIONIDIPM - Survey reply confirmation] Purpose: to record if you already replied to a survey pop-up asking if the content was helpful or not. (This is to ensure that you won't be asked the same question repeatedly). This cookie is controlled by the website: ec.europa.eu and is session-based and first-party cookie.
- [YSC/VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE - YouTube embedded videos] Purpose: to collect anonymous statistics for videos embedded with YouTube and to assess the performances of the video embedded in our website. There are 2 different cookies involved, all third-party based. One is permanent (VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE) and one session-based (YSC). The cookies are controlled by YouTube (Third-party cookie).
- [com.jeroenwijering.sol - Embeded videos] Purpose: to gather statistics on videos other than YouTube videos embedded in our website .This flash cookie remembers the user's preferences concerning the player such as volume, quality, etc.. This cookie is controlled by the website: ec.europa.eu and is session-based and first-party cookie.
- [PREF/khcookie/NID - Googlemap embedded] Purpose: These cookies are used by Google to store user preferences and information when viewing pages with Google maps on them. There are 3 different cookies involved, all third-party based. Two are permanent and one is session-based.
Enabling these cookies is not strictly necessary for the website to work but it will provide you with a better browsing experience. You can delete or block these cookies, but if you do that some features of this site may not work as intended.
The cookie-related information is not used to identify you personally. These cookies are not used for any purpose other than those described here.
How to control cookies
You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish - for details, see AllAboutCookies.org. You can delete all cookies that are already on your computer and you can set most browsers to prevent them from being placed. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and some services and functionalities may not work.