Charter of Fundamental Rights :
- Art. 38: "Union policies shall ensure a high level of consumer protection."
Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union :
- Art. 12: "Consumer protection requirements shall be taken into account in defining and implementing other Union policies and activities."
- Art. 114 (3): "The Commission, in its proposals envisaged in paragraph 1 concerning health, safety, environmental protection and consumer protection, will take as a base a high level of protection, taking account in particular of any new development based on scientific facts. Within their respective powers, the European Parliament and the Council will also seek to achieve this objective."
- Art. 169 (1): "In order to promote the interests of consumers and to ensure a high level of consumer protection, the Union shall contribute to protecting the health, safety and economic interests of consumers, as well as to promoting their right to information, education and to organise themselves in order to safeguard their interests."
For the transposition in the Member States, please click on "Linked Documents" -> "Display the national implementing measures: NIM"
- Directive on consumer rights
- Directive on unfair business-to-consumer commercial practices
- Directive on misleading and comparative advertising
- Directive on certain aspects of the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees
- Directive on consumer protection in the indication of the prices of products offered to consumers
- Directive on the protection of consumers in respect of certain aspects of timeshare, long-term holiday product, resale and exchange contracts
- Council Directive on unfair terms in consumer contracts
- Council Directive on package travel, package holidays and package tours
- Legal bases for Consumer Safety, Financial Services, Enforcement, and Redress
- Council Directive to protect the consumer in respect of contracts negotiated away from business premises
- Directive on the protection of consumers in respect of distance contracts
- Communication on the application of the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive - Achieving a high level of consumer protection, building trust in the Internal Market
- Communication: Protecting businesses against misleading marketing practices and ensuring effective enforcement - Review of Directive 2006/114/EC concerning misleading and comparative advertising
- Enforcement Authorities by EU country
- Communication on the Implementation of the Directive on Sale of Consumer Goods and Guarantees
- Action Plan implementing the Stockholm Programme