Towards better crisis and business continuity management
Multisectorial crisis and business continuity services
When is this action of interest to you?
You are a member of an organization that has to implement a Business Continuity Plan without being able to afford an IT tool. You are a member of an organization dealing with the management of crisis in a specific area and you have some needs not fulfilled by any systems in Europe. You wish to make your own crisis management applications interoperable with some other systems. This action will help you to share your needs and to evaluate a common approach with other stakeholders.
What is this action about?
In recent years, a significant effort has been made by the European Commission to develop communication tools relating to crisis management and business continuity issues and these tools have demonstrated considerable technical excellence and potential for reuse.
The objective of this action is to further extend its expertise in these areas and make available reusable components to European Institutions and Member States.
The project involves the identification of needs among potential users, a study of the know-how, and the exchange of best practices in existing systems used by European Institutions and Member States. It requires the adaptation of the components eligible for reuse, the development where needed of new components, and the implementation of appropriate information flows between the systems.
What are the objectives?
- providing reusable software components in the area of business continuity, covering the main functionalities needed for the business continuity management, principally for the preparedness and response phases, but also some aspects for prevention and recovery. This component could be released as Open Source Software and made available to Member States;
- providing reusable software components and information exchange flows in the area of crisis management and civil protection, to avoid the encoding of the same information in several IT systems.
What are the benefits?
- Free to use open source tools for implementing crisis and business continuity processes, for which maintenance and further development are guaranteed.
- Better integration of crisis and business continuity IT Systems.
- Better messaging and better tracking of messages.
- Solid, scalable and extensible interoperability platform.
- Increased level of cooperation between stakeholders from the Commission and Member States.
- Shared experience and support for setting up the crisis and business continuity management tool.