Corporate Web Content Management
DG COMM and DIGIT are working together on the next generation of the European Commission's corporate web content management system. The Next Europa CMS uses Drupal open source technology. This new CMS is closely linked to both the existing Drupal Multisite environment and to the Digital transformation Programme which aims to transform the digital presence of the European Commission to make it more coherent, relevant and cost-effective. The goal is to have a user friendly, modern approach to managing our websites.
In parallel to the Next Europa CMS project, the Digital Transformation Team is working closely with DGs to transition their current content into the new digital landscape.
Further information on progress of the Next Europa CMS will be published on this page of the IPG.
The current CWCM Documentum will be phased-out by 2017 and will be replaced by the Next Europa CMS.
For information on product management, see CWCM Portal.
The Corporate Web Content Management (CWCM) helps to manage and automate the creation of Europa site. It proposes
- A decentralised approach allowing web content management for everyone :
- Access rights to contents and user's roles are defined at site level by site owners: anyone registered in LDAP and having access to NET1 can play a role in any site. The communication between the so-defined actors can be managed by workflows.
- No technical skill needed to be a EUROPA information provider: by clearly separating presentation (XSL) and content (XML), the CWCM allows the information providers to produce web pages without having to care about technical formatting details. The system is able to dynamically and automatically assemble basic pieces of content into well-formatted web pages according to predefined models.
- No specific hardware/software needed: access to repository is done through a web based application. A browser is enough.
- A mixed approach to web content presentation:
- The presentation of a site is defined (using XSL) and managed by site owner.
- Europa corporate presentation ensured by availability of common presentation elements.
- Contents are stored inside a central repository and are queryable by everyone allowing easy cross-referencing between sites.
- A centralised approach to web content publication: the flows between the various technical elements used for the publication of the web contents are managed inside the tool.
Version in use on EUROPA
WebPublisher has been customized (CWCM project).
Efficient use of Documentum requires its customization to the standards of the Commission. The CWCM creates this customized environment by defining a basic set of content definitions common to all Commission websites, and standard templates to present that content.
See also CWCM releases.
Guidelines and references
You can find guidelines about the Corporate Web Content Management System (CWCMS) in the CWCMS Portal.
Please consult Syslog, the training information system, which gives you access to the training catalogue, the training map and allows you to introduce your application for a training course.