Highly interactive site in support of a specific communication campaign
A "Campaign" site is created to support a specific communication campaign with interactive events on the Internet. It will thus generally contain highly interactive elements that require specific technology. The site should focus purely on communication and should refer to the relevant policy site for background information.
"Campaign" sites are always targeting the general public and should thus be part of the institution-independent europa.eu domain. The recommendation is to define the site as a subsite of europa.eu:
Given its short lifetime (in general less than a year), use of a top level name such as http://<campaign>.europa.eu should be avoided.
"Campaign" site should use the technology that is most appropriate to deliver the functionality required by it. Several options are open: Flash, JSP, ColdFusion, Drupal, Documentum ...
The choice should be made in consultation with DG COMM and DIGIT.
A "Campaign" site should attach particular importance to the following criteria:
- The site should focus purely on communication and should refer to the relevant policy site for background information.
- The graphical presentation of the site and the language used must be adapted to the purpose of the site, i.e. 'communication'. Nevertheless, given that a campaign site is still an official EU site, the basic rules about presentation should still be respected, in particular with respect to the use of the template: the EUROPA template must be used.
- The number of languages in which a campaign site is offered will depend mainly on the audience targeted. In general, campaigns will target the widest audience possible and the supporting site should thus be available in all official languages.
- It must be very clear on the home page which audience is targeted.
- The site must be taken off line at the end of the campaign.