The purpose of this phase is to prepare for an upcoming project, including the establishment of the definition and initial planning for new project. The project definition includes definition of the scope and outlines of the requirements for a project; these may include the timetable, as well as the limits with regard to budget and resources. This phase may be preceded by the “Go-ahead decision" phase, where applicable.
This section describes the activities involved in gathering all the relevant detailed inputs and information needed during the conception, structure and development phases of the website, as well as inputs for making the key decisions during those phases.
The main steps/activities during this phase include:
- defining what type of website
- documenting the purpose/objectives of the site
- the mission and target audience (including their expectations, etc.)
- preliminary definition of resources for project execution
- identification of constraints such as special standards
- establishing work plan and calendar
- defining and describing in detail the subject of the website, etc.
- Appoint the site coordinator (DG concerned).
- Recruit the personnel.
- Fix responsibilities for all tasks involved.
- Inform DG COMM of new site creation project.
- Establish calendar and work plan.
- Define and describe in detail the subject of the website.
- For dynamic applications introduce the detailed hosting request (THM form: Transfer-Hosting-Modification) via MIRELLA) – IRM responsible + corresponding DIGIT-DC Account manager (DIGIT ISHS account management).
- Appoint DIGIT-DC Technical Project Leader (coordinates the implementation of every request change).
- Prepare a capacity plan (DIGIT-DC).
- Analyse the request and its impact on DC infrastructure >>> CAB approval for starting change implementation.
- Set-up site environment for static site (site URL allocation, access to the Staging Manager, CIRCA environment if needed, etc.) & dynamic sites (site URL allocation, access to the development and test environments, etc.)
- Submit requests (security convention) for relevant accesses (possible also for contractors).
- Define the core e-services to be integrated within the site (Core e-services catalogue: Mailform, Mailmas, generic mailbox for contact, Forum, etc.)
- Plan and contact the DGT (upstream linguistic advice and editing needs, translation volume, deadlines, budget, etc.)
Define promotion and communication strategy (define who will be informed about the new site, when and how).
N.B. Site forms part of a larger communication strategy
- (send the request to set-up and generate the statistics report).
- Launch the copyrights procedures.
- Launch the data protection procedures.
- Decision to create the site
- Resources/ Budget allocated/ Contracts organised/launched
- Document management procedures defined
- Project definition
- Creative brief (Project definition, including: stakeholders, project sponsor, overall conceptual and visual aims of the site, information on target group(s), how users will experience the site, communication strategy, risks)
- Architectural requirements: application schema (application architectural requirements, the software components, data access path), the evolution of disk usage and workload, criticality of the application (availability, fail over, contingency), potential security issues (external accesses.
- Basic concept plan
- Preliminary risk list
- Project Description and planning instruments (calendar and detailed work breakdown plan, resources allocation, including costs list (figures), etc.)
- Site specification
- Capacity plan (DIGIT-DC)
- Site production checklist
- Promotion and communication plan
- CAB approval for starting change implementation (based on received request for change)