Interinstitutional Editorial Committee (CEiii)
The Inter-institutional Editorial Committee on the internet (CEiii) is a permanent structure to coordinate the development of the institutions’ websites and oversee the inter-institutional pages of EUROPA.
The CEiii facilitates the exchange of information, shares good practices and creates synergies between institutions and other EU bodies on digital communication. It deals with a variety of subjects, from editorial issues to technological development.
Each institution retains complete autonomy over its websites and other online channels, as well as takes decisions on digital strategy, operations and resources according to its internal rules and procedures.
The CEiii was organised in 2001 on the basis of recommendations from the Inter‑institutional Internet Task Force and works according to a mandate. It is chaired by DG Communication, the Commission department responsible for the EUROPA website. It meets every two months.
CEiii's work – examples
Inter-institutional EUROPA websites and services:
- Development of EUROPA’s inter-institutional pages – http://www.europa.eu
- Creation of inter-institutional standard template for EUROPA
- Allocation of third‑level domain names (URL) on "europa.eu"
- Cooperation on databases and systems of common interest: EU Newsroom, EU Bookshop, EURLEX, EU Open Data Portal, Who's who, web archiving service (operational in 2015)
- Development of general editorial rules
- Establishment of reliable and systematic links to the institutions’ and OP document databases: EU Bookshop, TED, EURLEX, etc.
- Coordination of online promotion of important EU events, e.g. European elections, Nobel Peace Prize, Europe Day, etc.
- Cooperation to enhance social media outreach at inter-institutional level
Standardisation and re-use of web components:
- Setting up of inter‑institutional web archiving system (operational in 2015)
- Development of policy and codes of conduct for web accessibility
- Sharing and re‑using of web tools and interactive services
- Sharing of experience on web‑management tools (search, web analytics, etc.)