No 16 (March 99/Mars 99/März 99)
For free and in eleven languages
Detailed information about Community policies and Single Market - rules that affect business
Companies can learn about new Commission initiatives, access preparatory documents such as Green and
White papers, or search for EU legislation, case law or national implementing measures.
All available information on EU regulations and policies is accessible in 11 languages.
However, national legislation often exists only in the official language of the respective country
and is not always free. This section also contains a link to a handy guide with legislation
in over 40 countries (world law guide)
Immediate access to a number databases and free advice services on a wide variety of topics at European, national, regional and local level and feedback. The following services are included:
Overview and search for any EU related subject
- Business advice is provided via a direct electronic link to more than 230 Euro Info Centres. It enables businesses to post their request in their language to the nearest EIC.
- Problem solving: Businesses can seek assistance, free of charge, from the national "Contact Points for Business" (as notified under the Single Market Action Plan) when they encounter obstacles within a Member State, in particular for Single Market problems capable of being resolved by administrative cooperation between Member States.
- Advice on individual rights is available from the Citizens Signpost Service, an integrated part of the Dialogue with Citizen and Business programme. Businesses can in particular seek further assistance on how to resolve a practical problem concerning the rights of individuals (eg. employees and their families) to live, work and provide services in the European Union. This section gives also access to the Dialogue with Citizens website and the SCAD Guide on free movement in practice.
- For general information about the European Union people can access the EUROPA server or ask a questions to the Europa "mailbox", an existing Commission service which is available on-line to the public (including businesses) for questions about general EU issues.
- For more information and advice about the businesses can click on EURO services and choose one of the national information and advice services. Immediate information can also be obtained from Quest a extensive database on the Euro in 11 languages.
- A suggestion box which allows business to send suggestions and comments to the Commission. This will help the Commission to improve this website.
An overview facility that allows businesses to find out about Community policies which -
affect their business and a search facility in case people cannot find the information they want.
A search can be made for any European topic alphabetically, by subject or by - simply keying
in any term on the website and on several European servers - available in 11 languages.
In-depth information and tailored advice on key issues
At present four issues are covered: technical harmonisation, EU funding - opportunities, -
public procurement and intellectual property rights. In depth - information is given in -
eleven languages based on links to European and - national information resources such as
standardisation bodies and industrial property offices For public procurement, this includes a
free access to - Tenders Electronic Daily (TED), a database with European public procurement
opportunities. As national websites often exist only in the official - language of the - respective
country, the basic information is available in 11 - languages to allow - businesses without special
languages skills to - access it. Moreover, - businesses can obtain an instant translation of national
websites by using the free translation service (see practical - information - Translation service). -
Detailed information on the key issues is complemented by advice from - specialised groups of Euro
Info Centres (EICs).
Practical information which is of general interest to business. This includes :
- Information about trade shows (organiser, exhibitor or product) via Fairsworldwide, the largest database for trade fairs and catalogue service on the Internet.
- EUROPAGES, a business directory with more 500,000 companies listed by product, - service or activity
- business news (free access to wide variety of newspapers and the Commission's news service "Rapid")
- a free translation service (free machine translation - often useful, sometimes funny - from Alta Vista's translation engine powered by Systran and access to Eurodictautom for translating to and from eleven European languages)
- a short message service from MTN (you can send and receive short text messages on almost any mobile phone in the world. In effect, it does for the - cellular network what
e-mail does for the Internet).
- A collection of business links to other services of general interest to business (travel, weather, news)
on the Single Market ] - [ Free
Movement of People & Individual Rights ] - [ Free Movement of Goods ] -
[ Services & Establishment ]
- [ Financial
Services ] - [ Company
Law, Accounting & Auditing ] - [ Public
Procurement ] - [ Media,
Information Society & Data Protection ] - [ Intellectual
& Industrial Property ] - [ Economic
& Monetary Union ] - [ Infringements ]
[ Single Market News ] - [ Contents ]
- [ ]