Europe must act to create more prosperity and jobs. And it must do this urgently in the wake of the financial crisis. That is why the European Commission adopted the Single Market Act, a series of measures to boost the European economy and create jobs.
Since 1992, the Single Market has brought tremendous benefits and created new opportunities. But free movement of goods, services, capital and people does not always happen smoothly. There is no truly integrated European market in some fields. Pieces of legislation are missing. And administrative obstacles and lacking enforcement leave the full potential of the Single Market unexploited.
Confidence in the Single Market also needs a strong boost to help stimulate economic growth. Europe needs to act with more force and conviction to show that the Single Market brings social progress and can be beneficial for consumers, workers and small enterprises.
The Single Market Act presented by the Commission in April 2011 set out twelve levers to boost growth and strengthen confidence. In October 2012 the Commission proposed a second set of actions (Single Market Act II) to further develop the Single Market and exploit its untapped potential as an engine for growth.
Single Market Act II (October 2012)
- Communication from the Commission: “Single Market Act II - Together for new growth ”
- Table of key actions
- Citizens' summary
- European Parliament Resolution on a “Single Market Act: The Next Steps to Growth”, 14 June 2012
Single Market Act I (April 2011)
- Communication from the Commission: “Single Market Act - Twelve levers to boost growth and strengthen confidence”
- Booklet: Single Market Act - Together for new growth
Results of the public debate (November 2010 - February 2011)
- Commission Staff Working Paper - Overview of responses to the public consultation
- Results of the public consultation
- Conferences, workshop and other events
Text from October 2010
- Communication from the Commission:
“Towards a Single Market Act - for a highly competitive social market economy”
- Booklet - The Single Market Act
- Competitiveness Council: Conclusions on the Single Market Act, 10.12.2010
- Competitiveness Council: Conclusions on priorities for relaunching the Single Market, 30.05.2011
- Resolution of the European Parliament: “Delivering a single market to consumers and citizens”, 20.05.2010
- Report by Professor M. Monti to the President of the European Commission: “A New Strategy for the Single Market ”, 09.05.2010
- More Documents