Navigation path

Additional tools


To work as a dentist in another EU country, you must apply to the authority that oversees the profession in that country, providing proof of your qualifications. The authority must:

  • acknowledge your application within 1 month of receiving it, and ask you missing but necessary documents to process the application
  • assess your qualifications, and decide whether to grant your application within 3 months (or 4 months for certain complicated cases in the area of non automatic recognition)

If you do not accept their decision, you can appeal to the relevant court in that country. As to the type of documents an authority may ask, please see also the Code of conductpdf Choose translations of the previous link 

Which qualifications are recognised?

Automatic recognition

Basic dentists’ qualifications

The authorities in any EU country must recognise any of the basic dentists’ qualifications listed in:

All these qualifications meet the basic criteria for automatic recognition, which are:

  • at least 5 years of full-time theoretical and practical study
  • coverage of the knowledge and skills listed in Article 34 and Annex V, point 5.3.1 of the Directive on recognition of professional qualifications

If your qualification is not listed in Annex V, point 5.3.2 because it does not meet the basic criteria, it may still be recognised under an acquired rights regime. To this end, you must demonstrate at least 3 years of professional experience within the last 5 years (Art. 23).

Specialist dentists’ qualifications

Some specialist dentists' qualifications are automatically recognised in certain EU countries. These are listed in:

All of the countries listed for each given field will automatically recognise each others’ qualifications in that field.

Non-automatic recognition

Even if your dentist's qualification does not meet the criteria for automatic recognition and is not listed in Directive 2005/36/EC, it may still be recognised in other EU countries under the general system for recognition of qualifications.

If your specialist qualification is not listed in the Annex, it may still be recognised in other EU countries. However, if the authorities think the training for your qualification differs significantly from the training required in that country, you may have to sit an aptitude test, or complete an adaptation period, under the general system for recognition of qualifications. For more details, see Articles 10 to 15 of the Directive (2005/36/EC).