Conference “Jointly Building Resilient EU Responses to Counterfeiting” – 22.04.2013
This conference entitled “Jointly Building Resilient EU Responses to Counterfeiting” will be organised jointly by the European Commission and the EU Observatory on the Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights.
Conference on trade secrets, Brussels – 29.06.2012
A Commission Conference entitled "Trade Secrets: Supporting Innovation, Protecting Know-how" took place on Friday 29th June 2012 in Brussels.
The Conference addressed the pressing challenge of protecting European companies from acts of dishonest misappropriation of their know-how and other strategic business information. The conference looked at the legal protection of trade secrets and confidential business information, the economic rationale behind it, as well as the role and importance of trade secrets in innovation and competitiveness. The Conference provided a fruitful dialogue with stakeholders on possible policy options. It also served as a preparatory step in the launching of a survey on the topic.
The EU survey on the use of trade secrets and their protection against misappropriation will be launched in October 2012. It will be carried out by Baker & McKenzie (Milan), which will contact over 700 companies in different Member States. In addition companies and business organisations wishing to participate may do so directly. The Commission will make available a link on this web-site allowing stakeholders to participate in the survey.
Conference on “Enforcement of intellectual property rights: the review of Directive 2004/48/EC” – 26.04.2012
This conference, organised by DG Internal Market and Services, in association with the Danish EU Presidency, followed up on a Public Hearing in June 2011, and an earlier public consultation on the application of Directive 2004/48/EC on the enforcement of intellectual property rights.
The conference provided further valuable stakeholder input on intellectual property policy, in view of the upcoming review of the Directive by the Commission. In that context, the conference focused on the specific issues related to the enforcement challenges facing SMEs and creators, and on challenges posed in the online environment.
Public Hearing on Directive 2004/48/EC and the challenges posed by the digital environment – Brussels, 07.06.2011
This Public Hearing, organised by DG Internal Market and Services with support from the European Economic and Social Committee, takes place in the framework of the public consultation following the publication on 22 December 2010 of the Commission’s Report on the Application of Directive 2004/48/EC.
The hearing will focus on the specific issues related to the digital environment.
- Registration is now closed
The 2009 High Level Conference on Counterfeiting and Piracy (“ContraFake 2009”) – Brussels, 02.04.2009
This conference followed an event held last year, which attracted over 400 participants. This year the conference considered again the growing problem of counterfeiting and piracy but focused more on planned efforts to combat the problem, in particular the launching of the European Counterfeiting and Piracy Observatory.
- The programme
- Press release (IP/09/528 ), 02.04.2009
- Frequently Asked Questions (MEMO/09/146 )
- Press release (IP/09/497 , 30.03.2009
- Speech of Martin Power (SPEECH/09/168 ), Head of Cabinet of Commissioner Charlie McCreevy
- CVs of speakers and panellists
- Speech by John M. Jacobsen
- Presentation by Gerhard Bauer
- Presentation by Robert W. Holleyman
- Presentation by Miroslaw Zielinski
- Presentation by Christine Huber
- Presentation by Ted Shapiro
- Presentation by Kevin Harris
- Presentation by Ewa Synowiec
- Presentation by John Kennedy
- Presentation by Steven Liew
- Presentation by Peter Dorscht
- Presentation by Benoît Battistelli
- Presentation by Paloma Castro Martinez
- Presentation by Joachim Schmid
- Presentation by Jesper Kongstad
- Presentation by Benoît Tabaka
- Speech of Commissioner Charlie McCreevy – Closing remarks
The 2008 High Level Conference on Counterfeiting and Piracy – Brussels, 13.05.2008
This conference brought together Members of the European Parliament and major stakeholders to discuss the most important aspects of counterfeiting and piracy and to explore what can be done to enhance the fight against this growing phenomenon.
The Conference examined topics such as the effects on economic growth and job creation, risks to citizens’ health and safety, international trade flows as well as internet piracy. The Conference provides the opportunity to exchange views and experiences and to share ideas on how to tackle the problem.
The Conference is not a one-off event but, on the contrary, intends to be the starting point of a process towards a long lasting strategy mobilizing both industry and public authorities to jointly combat counterfeiting and piracy.
- The programme
- Practical arrangements
- Press release (IP/08/652 ), 28.04.2008
- Frequently Asked Questions (MEMO/08/299 )
- Speech of Commissioner Charlie McCreevy (SPEECH/08/237 )
- Video of the day:
- CVs of speakers and panellists
- Speech by Francesco Ferragamo
- Presentation by Marc-Antoine Jamet
- Presentation by Richard D. Heath
- Presentation by Larry Malloy
- Presentation by Michael Negel
- Presentation by Monique Goyens
- Presentation by Christophe Zimmermann
- Presentation by Olivier Bomsel
- Presentation by Simon Milner