- Study on the application of Directive 2001/29/EC on copyright and related rights in the information society - 16.12.2013
In its Intellectual Property Strategy “A Single Market for Intellectual Property Rights” the Commission announced a series of initiatives to foster the creation of a comprehensive framework for copyright in the digital single market. Within this process, the Commission launched a number of legal and economic studies on certain aspects of the legal framework, as referenced in the “Communication on Content in the Digital Single Market”.
The “Study on the application of Directive 2001/29/EC on copyright and related rights in the information society”, prepared by a Belgian law firm De Wolf & Partners (Framework Contract PN/2009-35/D), comprises an assessment of the extent to which the implementation of Directive 2001/29/EC is appropriate to the economic and technological realities of digital markets. The focus of this study is on the exclusive rights (the "making available right" and its localisation, and other aspects of rights related to transmissions of content in digital networks) as well as on a number of key limitations and exceptions (libraries and archives, research and educational purposes, persons with a disability, user-generated content, and press review).
This Study is the first of the series to be published. The remaining studies will be published as soon as they are finalised.
- Study “Assessing the economic impacts of adapting certain limitations and exceptions to copyright and related rights in the EU” - 01.10.2013
- Study on the implementation and effect in Member States’ laws of Directive 2001/29/EC on the harmonisation of certain aspects of copyright and related rights in the information society
- The Recasting of Copyright & Related Rights for the Knowledge Economy
- The contribution of Copyright and Related Rights to the European Economy
- Legal Protection of Databases
- Conditions Applicable to Contracts Relating to Intellectual Property
- International Protection of Expressions of Folklore under Intellectual Property Law
- Moral rights in the context of the exploitation of works through digital technology
- Transposition des directives sur le droit d’auteur et les droits voisins dans la législation des Etats membres
- Intellectual Property and the Conflict of Laws
- Mécanismes de supervision des sociétés de gestion collective dans l’Union Européene et de règlement des différends