Projects :: LiLa
LiLa: Dissemination of Remote and Virtual Laboratories for Natural Sciences and Engineering
Remote experiments and virtual laboratories let students perform or simulate complex and costly experiments on demand from anywhere and at any time.
LiLa is an acronym for ‘Library of Labs’, an initiative of eight universities and three companies, which aims at developing an integrated platform for remote experiments and virtual laboratories. The project is committed to enhancing the learning experience of science and engineering students all over Europe. Many universities are challenged by large numbers of students demanding access to laboratories during their training but capacity is limited especially for advanced or graduate students. Remote experiments and virtual laboratories tackle these problems: they are accessible 24 hours per day, and can be used without supervision in some cases. At the same time, they provide students with insights into how processes are controlled in today’s industry. Within this context, Lila aims to:
- Create a technical and organizational framework for the mutual exchange of experiments across Europe.
- Build a portal for access to virtual laboratories, remote experiments and other media.
- Make them accessible via a retrieval system.
- Exploit them with an access control and booking system.
- Guide users with a tutoring system.
- Integrate labs into a virtual 3D-world and provide a framework for online collaboration.
- Disseminate the network across Europe.
Coordinator: UNIVERSITAET STUTTGART, GERMANY
|TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAT BERLIN||GERMANY|
|SUN MICROSYSTEMS GMBH||GERMANY|
|ARISTOTELIO PANEPISTIMIO THESSALONIKIS||GREECE|
|UNIVERSIDAD POLITECNICA DE MADRID||SPAIN|
|MATHCORE ENGINEERING AB||SWEDEN|
|TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITEIT DELFT||THE NETHERLANDS|
|THE CHANCELLOR, MASTERS AND SCHOLARS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE||UNITED KINGDOM|
|COMPUTATIONAL MODELLING CAMBRIDGE LIMITED||UNITED KINGDOM|
Last update: 16/03/2010