Smart Sustainable Cities
ICTs can play a significant role to improve the carbon footprint of cities by moving to a more intelligent use of energy.
ICTs can enable a better use
of energy in buildings , transport, street lighting etc. It can also
facilitate the integration of locally generated renewable energy into the
electricity grid. The report "Impacts of Information and Communication
Technologies on Energy Efficiency" which was commissioned by the European
Commission identifies areas in a city in which ICT can have a positive
Because of the positive role ICTs can play in helping cities reduce their carbon emissions the European Commission co-finances initiatives and research in this area through the 7th Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development and the Competitiveness and Innovation Programme . You can find a list of projects financed by the European Commission here.
Cities themselves have also taken a very pro-active role and launched the Green Digital Charter in 2009. The cities signing up to the Charter commit to reduce the carbon footprint of their ICT and roll-out ICT solutions which lead to more energy efficiency in areas such as buildings, transport and energy.
- Smart Cities Report, Advisory Group Workshop, 1609/2011
- ICT Infrastructure for energy-efficient buildings and neighbourhoods for carbon-neutral cities, Advisory Group Workshop, 9/09/2010
- Smart sustainable cities and regions Workshop held at the ICT4EE High Level event, 5/10/2010
Become a Green Digital City!
Local and regional initiatives
Are you working with or within a local/regional authority interested in ICT solutions for Smart Cities and Regions? Find out more about local and regional initiatives which have been running all over Europe!
- eeRegio Wiki
"The Contribution of ICT to Energy Efficiency: Local and Regional
Initiatives" (July 2011)
Final report: A toolkit for local and regional initiatives
- Smart Cities Report, September 2011
- Bristol presentation: Bristol Green Digital City
- Malmö presentation: Malmö - the Green Digital City
- Nürnberg presentation: Sustainable Urban Development in the City of Nürnberg
- A National Initiative - Spain presentation: Smart Cities in Spain
- Advisory Group on ICT Infrastructure for energy-efficient buildings and neighbourhoods for carbon-neutral cities
- Get involved in the new Smart Cities Stakeholder Platform!