High Level Expert Group (HLEG) 2006 - 2009
When did the group operate?
The HLEG on Digital Libraries was set up in 2006 and concluded its operations at the end of 2009.
Representatives from organisations that have a main interest in the debate on the digitisation and online accessibility of cultural material: cultural institutions, publishers, technology firms, and academics. The HLEG was chaired by Viviane Reding, as Commissioner for the Information Society and Media.
What were the group's objectives?
To discuss and find ways forward on potentially difficult issues such as:
- Public-private partnerships for digitisation
- Scientific information
What has been achieved?
A Final report "Digital Libraries: Challenges and Recommendations for the Future." The report consolidates and summarises the advice provided by the HLG in the period 2006-2009.
A series of reports with recommendations on copyright issues and public-private partnerships. These reports show that progress that is possible even when stakeholders have very different starting points:
- Report on public private partnerships
- Report on copyright issues (see below)
Discussions within the High Level Group have also triggered several other initiatives where stakeholders work together:
Memorandum of Understanding on orphan
works was signed on 4 June 2008 by representatives of right holders and
- Museums, Libraries and Archives (MLA); signed 5 June 2008
- International Video Federation (IVF); signed 27 June 2008
- European Broadcasting Union (EBU); signed 19 November 2008
- ARROW, Accessible Registries of Rights Information and Orphan Works towards Europeana: a project to support the i2010 Digital Library initiative finding ways to identify rightholders, rights and clarify the rights status of a work including whether it is orphan or out of print.
- A large scale experiment on open access to scientific information in which scientific publishers and scientists work together. This PEER project is co-funded under the eContentplus programme.
- HLEG meetings
- HLEG Members list
June 4, 2008 - Copyright Subgroup: final report on Digital Preservation, Orphan Works, and Out-of-Print Works
- Final report
- Annex I
- Annex II
- Annex III
- Annex IV
- Annex V
- Annex VI
- Annex VII
The group discussed the progress of Europeana - the European Digital Library, launched on 20 November 2008. The other agenda items concerned copyright, scientific information, and the preparation of a final report of the High Level Expert Group "Digital Libraries: recommendations and challenges for the future".
Members: Names are linked to CVs in PDF formats and organisations to Websites: