Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to work as a self-employed person in Slovenia? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To carry out independent professional activities as a self-employed worker, you must obtain:
  • a self-employment permit; and
  • a residence permit.
Before engaging in self-employed activities in Slovenia, you must have been residing in Slovenia on the basis of a valid residence permit for at least one year.


Where and how to apply

Self-employment Permit

Before engaging in self-employed activities in Slovenia, you must have been residing in Slovenia on the basis of a valid residence permit for at least one year.

You must submit your application for a self-employment permit to the Employment Service of Slovenia.

Residence Permit

With reception of your self-employment permit, you must apply for an extension of your residence permit at the competent administrative unit in Slovenia.

This application may be submitted at the same time as the application for a self-employment permit.
Documents required When applying for a self-employment permit you must:
  • submit a valid residence permit and documents certifying that you have been residing in Slovenia for at least one year prior to the registration of the company;
  • have sufficient financial resources of at least 10.000 EUR;
  • own or have a valid lease on the business premises, where the activity is being carried out or where the company is based.
When applying for a residence permit, you must have:
  • a passport that is valid for three months longer than the intended stay in Slovenia;
  • a valid self-employment permit;
  • sufficient financial resources to support yourself which should be a monthly amount at least equal to the basic minimum income in Slovenia;
  • appropriate health insurance.
You must not pose a threat to the public order or security of Slovenia.
Duration of validity of permits Self-employment permits are granted for one year.

Residence permits are issued for the duration of the self-employment permit, but not for more than one year, once the necessary conditions met.

Your residence permit can be extended for a two-year period, provided that you still possess a valid self-employment permit and fulfil the conditions required for issuing the first residence permit.
Further requirements You must renew your registration of residence at the nearest administrative unit within eight days of acquiring a residence permit.
Appeals Decisions of the Employment Service on self-employment permits can be challenged before the Ministry of Labour, Family and Social Affairs.

Decisions of the administrative unit may be challenged before the Ministry of the Interior.
Further information More on entering and residing in Slovenia

More on self-employment in Slovenia



Change of activities No restrictions apply to change of activities.
Change of status If you wish to change status and reside in Slovenia for a reason other than self-employment, you may apply for a further temporary residence permit. This must be done before expiry of the original temporary residence permit

In-country applications are possible.
Long-term residence After five continuous years of legal residence on the basis of a temporary residence permit or on the basis of an application for the renewal or acquisition of a subsequent temporary residence permit, you can apply for a permanent residence status.

The condition of five years’ continuous residence is satisfied even if you were not present in Slovenia for the entire period and the temporary residence permit was not issued. However, your periods of absence must have been shorter than six consecutive months and in the five-year period they must not have exceeded a total of ten months.

More on permanent residence