Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to work as a highly-skilled employee in Romania? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

A highly-qualified worker is a person with adequate and specific skills, proven by qualifications obtained during graduate or postgraduate education, or through relevant professional experience acquired in Romania or another EU country.

To come to Romania as a highly-qualified worker, your employer must first obtain a work authorisation for highly-qualified workers on your behalf. You must hold a university or college diploma from an educational programme that lasted three years or longer. Alternatively you can prove your qualifications by showing relevant professional experience.

You must also obtain a long-stay visa for work purposes.

If you intend to work as a highly-qualified employee in Romania for more than 90 days, you must extend your stay by applying for an EU Blue Card when you arrive in Romania. The EU Blue Card serves as a residence and work permit and is valid for the duration of your work contract plus three months, and for a maximum period of two years and three months.


Where and how to apply

Work authorisation for highly-qualified workers

Your future employer must first apply to the General Inspectorate for Immigration (GII) for a work authorisation for highly-qualified employees. This authorisation will be issued within the quotas fixed by the Government, unless you are exempt from the quota requirement.

You can also apply for a work authorisation for highly-qualified workers if you already hold a Blue Card in another EU country. Your application will be evaluated within 15 days.

Long-stay visa

Once you have been issued with a work authorisation for highly-qualified workers, you have 60 days to apply for a long-stay visa for employment purposes (identified by the symbol D/AM) at the Romanian embassy in your country of origin or residence.

Temporary residence and work permit – the EU Blue Card

To extend your right to stay and work in Romania (granted initially through the visa) you must apply for an EU Blue Card at the territorial bureau of the GII

Documents required

To obtain the work authorisation for highly-qualified employees, your employer must submit the following documents to the GII

  • a motivated request;
  • proof that he/she carries out a legal activity in Romania;
  • proof that he/she does not have debts;
  • your CV, including a declaration that you are medically-capable to work and that you have minimum knowledge of Romanian;
  • two identity photographs and copy of your travel document;
  • a copy of the valid work contract or a binding work offer for highly-qualified employment that mentions the monthly or annual salary (which must be at least four times the national average gross wage);
  • a certificate recognising your qualifications issued by the Ministry of Education or a diploma issued by an accredited educational institution in Romania. Your qualification must be relevant for your job description;
  • if applicable, proof of your professional experience in Romania or another EU country, which is at a comparable level to college, graduate or postgraduate studies. This provision is only applicable for professions that are governed by specific regulations.

To obtain an EU Blue Card, you must present the following documents to the GII

  • yourwork contract with a salary of at least four times the national average gross wage;
  • a medical certificate proving your ability to work;
  • a valid travel document.

Duration of validity of Blue Card

The EU Blue Card allows you to work and stay in Romania for the duration of your work contract plus three months, and for a maximum period of two years and three months.


Your employer may appeal a decision refusing to issue a work authorisation, with the territorially competent Court of Appeal.

The decision of a diplomatic mission refusing to grant a visa can be appealed before the Commission for solving complaints regarding granting of visas, within the General Inspectorate for Immigration.

Decisions of the GII on the withdrawal of an existing long-term visa may be appealed before the territorially-competent Court of Appeal.




Your Blue Card will not be revoked if you become unemployed unless the period of unemployment is longer than three months or there are several periods of unemployment during the validity of your Blue Card.

Family reunification

You may apply for family reunification, even if your Blue Card is valid for less than one year.

If you have resided with a Blue Card for 18 months in another EU country and move to Romania to take up a highly-skilled position with a Blue Card, your family members can join you once they comply with general conditions for family reunification and can show the initial residence permit granted to them by the first EU country.

Long-term residence

To be granted a long-term residence permit, you must show that your temporary stay as a Blue Card holder in the EU, in Switzerland or in the EEA was legal and continuous for at least five years, out of which at least two were spent in Romania.

During the five-year period, you must not have left Romania, the EU, Switzerland or the EEA for more than 12 consecutive months and for more than 18 months in total, (exceptions will be allowed if, for example, you have been studying in your home country).

You must also show:

  • sufficient financial resources, either by showing proof of your bank account, or a monthly income such as salary, pension etc, at least at the level of the minimum wage;
  • proof of health insurance;
  • suitable accommodation by having, for example, a registered lease contract.

You must also do a language test to prove a satisfactory level of Romanian and must not pose a threat to public order or national security.

If you have obtained a permanent right to stay you will be issued with a long-term residence permit, renewable every five years.

In the long-term residence permits issued, it will be mentioned that you are a “former Blue-Card holder”.

Long-term resident status gives you equal treatment with Romanian citizens as regards conditions to access the labour market (except public prerogatives), education and vocational training, social security, social and health care, social protection and medical assistance.

More on long-term resident status (in Romanian).



Competent Authorities

Labour Force Agency

Romanian Office for Immigration