Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Are you a non-EU citizen living in Lithuania and would you like to bring your non-EU family members to live with you there? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights your family members can enjoy during their stay.

You can arrive to Lithuania as a family member, if one of the following persons resides in Lithuania:

  • at least one your parents, who is a citizen of Lithuania;
  • if you are an unmarried minor (under the age of 18) – at least one of your parents (or their spouse) who is a citizen of Lithuania or has a residence permit***;
  • your or your spouse’s unmarried child, who is a citizen of Lithuania;
  • your child, who has obtained asylum and has a  residence permit;
  • your spouse or registered partner, who is a citizen of Lithuania or has a residence permit. In such case both of you must be of at least 21 year of age, unless your spouse or registered partner has obtained an EU long-term resident’s status in another EU Member State***;
  • your child who has a residence permit, when you have been his or her dependant for at least 1 year, and there are no other family members who could support you***;
  • your parents who are incapable to work due to the pension age or disability and who have a permanent residence permit.

***In cases marked by asterisks you will be eligible to apply for family reunification in Lithuania if your family member whom you want to join in Lithuania (your sponsor):

  • has legally resided for at least two years in Lithuania;
  • holds a residence permit valid for at least one year;
  • shows reasonable prospects of acquiring permanent residence in Lithuania.

If your sponsor belongs to any of the categories listed below, the requirements of 2 years of residence and reasonable prospects do not apply and you can apply for a family member’s residence permit immediately:

  • aliens who obtained asylum in Lithuania;
  • researchers who have been granted temporary residence permits  in Lithuania according to Directive 2005/71/EC or teachers arriving to teach in a higher educational establishment;
  • highly qualified workers who have been granted temporary residence permits in Lithuania according to Directive 2009/50/EC (“Blue Cards”);
  • EU long-term residents who obtained this status in another EU Member State according to the Directive 2003/109/EC, but only if the family already existed in that other EU Member State;
  • interns who have arrived to the institutions of higher education and research of the Republic of Lithuania under treaties of the Republic of Lithuania or according to European Union academic exchange programmes with third countries;
  • investors who, by directly participating in the projects of importance to the State, have invested in the Republic of Lithuania in a property owned, borrowed or managed and used by them by the right of trust;
  • persons, whose share in the enterprise is not less than 260 000 euros and when the enterprise employs at least 5 citizens of Lithuania or permanent residents (for the investors definition, see the section “investors”);
  • managers or specialists transferred within the company from third countries, when they have been working within the company for at least 1 year prior to the transfer, and their professional knowledge or high qualification is necessary for the activities of the branch established in Lithuania, when they receive a salary of at least 2 amounts of average monthly gross earnings in the whole economy.

You must obtain a temporary residence permit for family reunification at the embassy or consulate in the country of residence.



Where and how to apply

Temporary residence permit


In general, an application for a temporary residence permit for family reunification should be submitted to the embassy or consulate in the country of your residence.

If you are legally staying in Lithuania, the application can be submitted to the territorial migration services in Lithuania.

As an alternative, the request can be submitted by your sponsor to the territorial migration services in Lithuania.

Application for a temporary residence permit will be forwarded to the Migration Department under the Ministry of Interior for processing. The decision to issue the residence permit is taken within 4 months at the latest. For an additional fee, the decision will be taken within 2 months at the latest. If you receive a positive decision and are outside the country, you will be issued a single entry national visa, if necessary, and you will be able to enter Lithuania and collect your residence permit here.

National long-term visa

National long-term visa is issued within 15 days and allows you to enter and stay in the country for up to one year. If necessary, and as long as the national long-term visa is valid, you can apply for a temporary residence permit while remaining in the country.

Note that in case you apply for extension of your residence in Lithuania, you should apply for a temporary residence permit before your national long-term visa or previous temporary residence permit expires. Otherwise, you will have to leave the country and wait for your temporary residence permit while abroad.

Documents required

To obtain a temporary residence permit or a national long-term visa you must show the following documents:

  • a passport;
  • a photo;
  • a proof of existence of the family relationship;
  • documents proving the legal status of your sponsor which gives the right to family reunification (in case of residence permit);
  • sufficient financial resources;
  • adequate accommodation (in case of residence permit); 
  • health certificate (in case of temporary residence permit you can present it later, before the end of the procedure);

In order to issue the document, your fingerprints will be taken – 10 fingerprints in case of national long-term visa, 2 fingerprints in case of temporary residence permit.

To apply for a temporary residence permit, you will be required to provide a statement from a competent authority in the foreign country or countries in which you lived before arriving to the Republic of Lithuania or where you currently live. This statement must certify that you have (not) been convicted of a crime in that (those) state(s). If you have been previously convicted, the statement must indicate: the date and nature of the criminal act for which you were convicted, the sentence imposed and whether or not it has been served.

Duration of validity of permits

Residence permit is granted for the duration of the validity of your sponsor’s residence permit and can be renewed. If your sponsor is a Lithuanian citizen or a long-term resident (has a permanent residence permit), your temporary residence permit will be issued for 1 year and renewed for 2 years.

National long-term visa is granted for up to 1 year. It cannot be renewed.

Appeals Decisions can be challenged before the Vilnius District Administrative Court within 14 days from the receipt of the decision and further before the Supreme Administrative Court.
Further requirements Having received a residence permit, you must declare your place of residence.

Further information

More on temporary residence permits

More on national long-term visas

More on visas



Permanent residence

If you have been residing continuously and legally for five years in Lithuania you can obtain a permanent resident’s status.

Basic knowledge of the language and of the Lithuanian Constitution will be tested.

More on permanent residence permits
Autonomous status During temporary residence, an autonomous status can only be obtained if you change the ground of your residence, for example by obtaining a temporary residence permit as a worker.
Right to work You do not need to obtain a work permit, if you want to work.