Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Are you a non-EU citizen living in Cyprus and would you like to bring your non-EU family members to live with you there? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights your family members can enjoy during their stay.

If you have been legally residing in Cyprus for two years, you are entitled to apply for family reunification.

Your family members include:
  • your spouse over the age of 21, provided that the marriage took place at least one year before submitting the application;
  • your unmarried minor dependent children and those of your spouse.


Where and how to apply? You must submit an application for family reunification to the Civil Registry and Migration Department.
Documents required? You must prove:
  • the family relationship;
  • accommodation that meets general health and safety standards;
  • sufficient financial resources.
Duration of validity of permits? If the application is successful, a residence permit is issued to your family members for one year and is renewable. The duration of the permit cannot be longer than the duration of your residence permit.
Further requirements? .
Appeals? Decisions related to residence permits can be challenged before the administrative courts.
Further information? More on visas


Access to employment Access to employment for family members is limited for a period not exceeding 12 months, given that a market test is required. After this period, general rules for non-EU citizens apply.
Long-term residence After five years of legal and continuous stay, family members are entitled to apply for a long-term residence permit.

They must show:
  • stable financial means;
  • health insurance;
  • that they have not secured residence by fraud.