Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Go back to the search results
Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Slovenia? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To carry out research or education in the higher education sector in Slovenia:
  • you must have a signed hosting agreement with a research organisation or a higher education institution from Slovenia; and
  • you must obtain a residence permit for the purpose of research.


Where and how to apply You should submit your application for a temporary residence permit to the embassy or consulate in your country of origin.

Alternatively, the application can be submitted by the research organisation or higher education institution with which you have signed the hosting agreement to the embassy or consulate abroad or to the administrative unit.
Documents required
  • You must have a signed hosting agreement with the research organisationor a higher education institution from Slovenia;
  • You must have a passport that is valid for three months longer than your intended stay in the Republic of Slovenia.
  • You must also prove sufficient financial resources, appropriate health insurance and a clean criminal record.
Duration of validity of permit Residence permits for the purpose of research are granted for a maximum of one year and are renewable.
Further requirements You must register your place of residence at the nearest administrative unit within three days from the day you enter the Republic of Slovenia.
Appeals Decisions of the administrative unit may be challenged before the Ministry of the Interior.
Further information More on being a researcher in Slovenia


Change of status You can be granted a resident permit on grounds of family reunification.
Employment during research If you want to work during your research, you must obtain an employment permit under the same conditions as other non-EU citizens.
Employment after research If you want to work in Slovenia after your research, your future employer may initiate an application for an employment permit and you may apply for a further temporary residence permit. In-country applications are possible.
Long-term residence After five continuous years of legal residence on the basis of a temporary residence permit or on the basis of an application for the renewal or acquisition of a subsequent temporary residence permit, you can apply for a permanent residence status.

The condition of five years’ continuous residence is satisfied even if you were not present in Slovenia for the entire period and the temporary residence permit was not issued. However, your periods of absence must have been shorter than six consecutive months and in the five-year period they must not have exceeded a total of ten months.

More on permanent residence