Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Go back to the search results
Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Slovakia? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To come to Slovakia as a researcher, you must obtain temporary residence for the purpose of research and development.

If you are subject to visa requirements, you will also need a visa.

Pedagogical employees, academic employees at university, scientists, researchers or developers taking part in a special profession-related event do not need a work permit, when their employment in Slovakia does not exceed 7 consecutive calendar days or a total of 30 calendar days in a year.


Where to apply Temporary residence for purpose of research and development

You may apply in person for temporary residence for the purpose of research and development either at the embassy or consulate in the country of your citizenship, or country of residence or directly in Slovakia at the relevant Alien Police Department.


If required, you must obtain entry visa at the embassy or consulate in the country of your citizenship or country of residence  before you arrive.
Documents to submit To obtain temporary residence for the purpose of research and development you must submit:
  • a completed and signed official application form in the Slovak language;
  • a valid passport and two colour photographs;
  • a hosting agreement;
  • an extract from the Criminal Register of your country of origin and from all countries where you have lived for the last three years;
  • a document proving financial means.

Within 30 days after collecting your permit in the country, you must submit a document confirming your health insurance in Slovakia and prove that you do not suffer from a disease that constitutes a threat to public health.

Further requirements All documents issued by official authorities abroad must be translated into Slovak by a court appointed translator and properly legalised (apostille or higher legalisation of documents). No submitted document should be older than 90 days on the day of application. It is possible to submit documents issued or verified by the official authorities of the Czech Republic in the Czech language.
Duration of validity of permits Your permission to reside for the purpose of research and development is granted for a maximum of two years and may be renewed before its expiry for up to three years, if the purpose for which it was originally issued still lasts.


You can file an administrative appeal to the Directorate of Alien Police/Directorate of Border and Alien Police.

You can file a judicial appeal to the Regional court.

Further information

More on visas

More on residence permits

More on working in Slovakia

More on coming to Slovakia as a researcher

Overview of all necessary information (including research and development)


Change of status Change of status is possible. If the purpose for which you were granted the temporary residence status changes, you must apply for new temporary residence status at the Alien Police Department.
Employment after research If the non-EU national was granted the temporary residence permit for the purpose of enforcement of the specific activity, such as research or development, and his/her teaching activity in employment relationship or similar employment relationship does not take more than 50 calendar days in a calendar year, s/he is allowed to work without the work permit.


version 0.1.1