Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Go back to the search results
Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to study in Malta? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To come to Malta as a student, you must:
  • be enrolled in a higher education institution;
  • be admitted to pursue, as your main activity, a full-time course of study leading to a higher education qualification recognised by the Malta Qualification Recognition Information Centre;
  • obtain a residence permit;
  • obtain a visa, if necessary.
You can study at the University of Malta or in a private college officially authorised to provide such courses.



Where to apply Applications to be admitted for the purposes of studies should be submitted to the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs.
Documents required You must prove:
  • acceptance from the educational institution;
  • sufficient financial resources to support yourself and your dependants, and to cover study fees per year (one year tuition and € 6,523);
  • that you have a non-refundable return air ticket;
  • accommodation;
  • qualifications that give access to recognised, accredited universities in your home country;
  • certificates of English language proficiency/proficiency in the language the course is delivered in;
  • health insurance;
  • if you are a minor, parental consent authorising you to reside in Malta for the purposes of studies.
You may also be asked to undergo a medical check and to provide results of university entrance examinations.
Duration of validity of permits If your application is successful, you will be granted a residence permit for the purpose of studying for one year. If the total duration of your course is less than one year, your permit will be issued for the duration of the course.
Further requirements If necessary, you must obtain a visa at the embassy or consulate in your country of origin.

If you are a language school student you will require a residence permit unless your stay is covered by a visa or, if you are exempt from obtaining a visa, your stay is less than three months. In this case, specific rules apply.

The Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs can refuse to issue or withdraw a residence permit, e.g. in the cases of fraud or failure to meet the requirements.
Appeals Appeals to the Immigration Appeals Board are possible but must be filed within three working days from the decision subject to appeal.
Further information

More on residence permits

More on visas

On the strength of an Acceptance Letter issued by the Educational Institution, as well as satisfying other requisites, the applicant who is subject to a visa requirement must obtain a visa at the Embassy or Consulate in his/her country of origin or residence, prior to his/her intended arrival in Malta. 



Employment during studies

You are allowed to work for a maximum of ten hours per week after one year of residence, provided that you have been recognised as a student by the DCEA under Legal Notice 29 of 2008 and that you obtain an employment licence from the Employment and Training Corporation. Your employer must apply for the employment licence.

You cannot be self-employed.

Employment after studies If you wish to work after your studies, you must obtain an employment licence and meet the necessary conditions.

You will generally be expected to leave Malta after your studies for at least three consecutive months and apply for an employment licence from abroad unless you have graduated (ISCED 5 and higher). Public policy exceptions may apply.
Change of status You are allowed to change studies with no restrictions.


Competent Authorities