Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Go back to the search results
Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Malta? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To carry out research in Malta, you must:
  • sign a hosting agreement with an accredited research organisation;
  • obtain a residence permit;
  • obtain a visa, if necessary.



If you are admitted to carry out research in Malta, you will be able to teach and have your qualifications recognised.

You will have the same rights as Maltese citizens regarding conditions of work, pay and dismissal, tax benefits and access to goods and services.

You will also be able to bring your spouse and unmarried minor children (and those of your spouse) with you to Malta. They will need to apply for a residence permit. Your spouse will generally be allowed to work.