Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Go back to the search results
Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Ireland? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

You may enter Ireland as a researcher if you come within the scope of the Scheme for the admission of non-EU researchers.

You also continue to have the option of applying for green cards or work permits.

In both cases, you must obtain a visa unless you are visa-exempt.


Where and how to apply Hosting Agreement

You must have been issued with a "hosting agreement" from a recognised research organisation accredited by the Office of Science, Technology and Innovation (OSTI). Only research organisations which have been accredited may enter into hosting agreements.

More on accredited research organisations.
Documents required You must show:
  • that your research project has been accepted by the research organisation after examination of the purpose and duration of the research, the necessary financial resources and your qualifications;
  • sufficient monthly resources to support yourself and return travel costs without recourse to the social assistance system;
  • that you have sickness insurance;
  • presentation of a valid travel document;
  • presentation of a Hosting Agreement;
  • that the hosting agreement specifies the legal relationship and your working conditions.
Where applicable, you must present a statement of financial responsibility issued by the research organisation.

You will not be admitted if you pose a threat to public policy, public security or public health.


You must obtain a D-visa unless you are visa-exempt.

You must apply online unless you are already living in Ireland and are making a re-entry visa application.
Duration of validity of hosting agreement The maximum duration of a hosting agreement is five years.
Further requirements Following admission to Ireland, you must register with your local immigration officer and obtain a certificate of registration.

If you are in Dublin this is with the Garda National Immigration Bureau. Otherwise you should register with the District Headquarters in other Garda districts.


You can appeal a decision to refuse a visa within two months of the date of refusal. Appeals must be in writing and posted to the Visa Appeals Officer. Faxed or emailed appeals will not be considered. Only one appeal can be made for each application. If the appeal is rejected, a new visa application must be submitted.

More on appeals

Further information More on visas

More on registration

More on carrying out research in Ireland


Family Reunification You may be accompanied by your spouse and dependants if you have been issued with a hosting agreement, provided that they comply with the same admission conditions which applied to you. Normal immigration rules regarding visas, entry and registration apply.

Your family members will be granted residence permits of the same duration as the one granted to you.
Long-term residence status Currently, there are no arrangements in place for researchers or holders of hosting agreements to apply for long-term residence.

It is proposed that in the future, after two years of legal residence, researchers or holders of hosting agreements will be entitled to apply for a long-term residence permit.