Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Go back to the search results
Are you a non-EU citizen living in Ireland and would you like to bring your non-EU family members to live with you there? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights your family members can enjoy during their stay.

Your ability to reunite with your family members in Ireland will depend on your right to remain in Ireland. The following can immediately bring their family to live with them in Ireland:

  • Critical Skills Employment Permit holders;
  • Investors
  • Entrepreneurs
  • Business Permission Holders
  • Researchers
  • Approved Scholarship programme students (e.g.KASP)
  • PhD Students(subject to conditions including no recourse to social welfare payments)
  • Full time non-locum doctors in employment
  • If you hold a General Employment Permit, all Stamp 4 holders not covered by other more favourable arrangements and Ministers of Religion, you can reunite with your family after you have been legally working in Ireland for one year. You must be able to show that you will be able to support them. You must also be in full-time employment when you apply and have an income above the threshold which would qualify the family for payment under the Family Income Supplement (FIS).

The following family members are eligible to join you:

  • your spouse or civil partner;
  • your de facto partner;
  • your children under the age of 18 years;
  • dependants over the age of 18, in exceptional circumstances.

See published guidelines relevant to non-EEA family reunification.

See also published guidelines relevant to family reunification applying to persons with refugee status only.


Where to apply Family members must obtain a D visa, unless they are visa-exempt.

Visa applications must be made online unless your family member is already living in Ireland and is making a re-entry visa application.
Grounds for rejection Grounds for rejecting an application for family reunification include:
  • inability to support oneself (or accompanying dependants) financially;
  • intention to work without authorisation;
  • suffering from a medical condition listed on the International Health Regulations or specified in the Immigration Act;
  • conviction of an offence punishable by imprisonment in excess of one year;
  • not holding a valid visa or passport;
  • existence of a deportation order or other reasons relating to the public good, national security or public policy;
  • intention to travel to the United Kingdom, if the family member would not have qualified for admission if he/she had arrived from elsewhere in the world (Immigration Act, Section 4).

See published guidelines relating to non-EEA Family Reunifcation

Documents required

Your signed and dated application form and the appropriate fee (where applicable) must be accompanied by the supporting documentation set out below.

  • You must provide evidence of the claimed relationship.
  • You must provide evidence of your finances and those of your sponsor including evidence to show that your sponsor meets the minimum level of earnings required
  • Sponsor’s status /eligibility to sponsor
  • Your current passport and full copy of previous passports
  • Two colour passport sized photographs not more than 6 months old

More details on documents required for non-EEA applicants

Duration of validity of permit The duration of your family member's permission cannot exceed the duration of your permission, unless he/she is subsequently granted permission to reside in Ireland independently.
Further requirements Following admission to Ireland, family members aged 16 years and older must register with the GNIB/local immigration officer and obtain a certificate of registration.

If you are in Dublin this is with the Garda National Immigration Bureau. Otherwise it is with the District Headquarters in other Garda districts. Currently, children aged below 16 years old are not required to register.


Appeals must be in writing and posted to the Visa Appeals Officer. Faxed or emailed appeals will not be considered. Only one appeal can be made for each application. If the appeal is rejected, a new visa application must be submitted.

More on appeals

Further information More on family reunification in Ireland

More on visas

More on registration


Access to Employment

Non-EEA national family members are only permitted to work if they:

Other family members of employment permit holders must obtain aan employment permit in their own right

  • A labour market needs test will be required
  • Fees are payable when applying for or renewing an employment permit
  • Applications for General Employment Permits will not be considered for occupations listed as ineligible for employment permits
Either the employer or employee can apply for the work permit, based on an offer of employment. Your spouse or dependant must have the qualifications, skills and experience required for the job. They must be directly employed and paid by their employer in Ireland.