Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Go back to the search results
Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Cyprus? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfill and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

To enter and reside in Cyprus as a researcher, you must be approved by a recognised research organisation for the purpose of performing research work as:

  • a doctorate researcher;
  • a post-doctorate researcher;
  • a researcher under a recognised European/other programme.

You must obtain a visa or an entry-permit before you come to Cyprus.

You must obtain a temporary residence permit after you arrive in Cyprus.



Where and how to apply You must obtain a visa or an entry permit from the consulate or embassy of Cyprus in your home country abroad. You must obtain a temporary residence permit from the Civil Registry and Migration Department within one week of your arrival in Cyprus.

Documents required

  • You must submit a hosting agreement signed between the Research Organisation and the applicant.
  • You must submit a Statement of financial responsibility of the applicant issued by the Research Organisation in accordance with the section (4) article 18XB of the Alien and Migration law, chapter 105.
  • You must present a certificate of criminal record, a copy of your passport and x-rays and blood tests (HIV, syphilis, hepatitis B, hepatitis C and report of x-ray for Tuberculosis).
Duration of validity of permits Residence permits are granted for one year and are renewable, provided the renewal application is made one month before expiry of your permit and the duration of the researcher’s agreement is valid for more than a year.
Further requirements When you arrive in Cyprus, you must register at the District Aliens and Immigration Unit of the Police and undergo a medical check. You must also submit relevant medical certificates.
Appeals You can challenge decisions related to your residence permit before the Supreme Court.


According to the law researches are allowed to teach.