Navigation path

please wait

What do I need before leaving?

Go back to the search results
Are you a non-EU citizen wishing to carry out research in Belgium? You can find information below on the conditions to fulfil and procedures to follow, as well as the rights you can enjoy during your stay.

Before you are authorised to carry out an activity as a researcher in Belgium, you must obtain a long stay visa (type D).


Where and how to apply

To be able to apply for a long stay visa as a researcher, you must first sign a hosting agreement with an approved research organisation in Belgium. More information on the conditions for the hosting agreement, can be found here.

A researcher coming to Belgium in the framework of such an agreement is exempt from the work permit requirement.

Visa and residence permit

You must submit your application to the embassy or consulate in your country of origin or residence. Your request can be referred for clearance to the Immigration Office of the Interior Federal Public Service, which takes the final decision.

Documents required

Visa and residence permit

You must present a valid passport, a hosting agreement with an approved research organisation in Belgium, a medical certificate and a declaration of good character.

Further requirements

Visa and residence permit

Upon arrival in Belgium, you have eight working days to contact the municipal authorities of your place of residence to obtain an Electronic Foreigner Card type A.

Duration of validity of permit

Visa and residence permit

The residence permit is valid for the duration of the research project, as laid down in the hosting agreement.


Visa and residence permit

If your application for a visa is refused, you can appeal against the decision before the Aliens Litigation Council within 30 days of notification of the decision.

Further information

More on scientific visa


Change of employment No data currently available.
Employment during research Not applicable.
Long-term residence Researchers ordinarily do not fulfil the conditions to receive long-term residence status, as their stay is de facto limited. General conditions apply.