Navigation path

Do I need a visa?

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU, you might need a visa to travel to an EU country for different purposes, including work or holiday.

A visa is a sticker in your travel document which is given to you by an EU country and which allows you to enter and remain in that country for a certain period of time. It may also give you the right to travel to other EU countries.

Concerning the length of validity, there are two types of visa: short-stay and long-stay.

You will find more information on the type of visa you will need by selecting the boxes below. For details on the visa requirements in a particular EU country, select the country from this map or use the search tool on the left hand-side of the page.