The Scientific Committee on Emerging and Newly Identified Health Risks (SCENIHR) has received a request for a scientific opinion on the safety of metal-on-metal joint replacements with a particular focus on hip implants. The mandate is available here.
Interested parties are invited to submit any relevant information that could assist the scientific committee with this assessment.
In particular, the Scientific Committee is interested in receiving any scientific information related to the following:
- The range in composition of both metals and non-metals of Metal-on-Metal hip implants currently on the market
- Incidence and severity of adverse effects attributable to Metal-on-Metal implants.
- Incidence and severity of adverse effects in patients with Metal-on-Metal implants, compared to that of patients fitted with non-Metal-on-Metal implants.
- The form and effectiveness of systems in the Member States for reporting adverse effects attributable to Metal-on-Metal hip implants.
- Data from systematic post-market surveillance systems/registries concerning Metal-on-Metal hip implants
All information should be submitted in electronic format to Sanco-SCENIHR-Secretariat@ec.europa.eu specifying “MoM Hip Implants - Call for Information” in the subject line of the e-mail.
All information is considered public unless otherwise stated by the provider.
A document on guidelines for submission of contributions, containing criteria for the call for information and guidance for submission can be found here.
More information on the SCENIHR and the other Scientific Committees of the European Commission can be found here.