Crisis preparedness and response
The Health Emergency & Disease Information System (HEDIS)
HEDIS is a Web-based portal with restricted access offering a central destination and jumping off point for all the information derived from various sources (with real-time updates from MediSys, WHO, OIE,…), communication tools, access to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and modeling applications allowing European stakeholders responsible for health threats response to consult and exchange health-related information in a structured and predictable manner.
Being informed about the evolution of the crisis
For each new crisis a dedicated sub-portal is generated where stakeholders can find all information related to the threat:
- Relevant news, reports and scientific advices from various sources. (Commission, ECDC, WHO, EMM,…
- Maps locating events
- A logbook presenting a timeline of actions taken concerning the specific threat
Communicating, sharing and exchanging information
Information technology provides many possibilities for users to share information. The HEDIS platform regroups a set of tools especially designed to this purpose such as:
- A Forum for communication between stakeholders
- A Secure document repository for sensitive document storage
- Questionnaires used for asking information to stakeholders on particular subjects and gathering answers
- Alerting systems (E-mail, SMS, Fax)
- A Calendar application for event scheduling
- A notice board to attract users’ attention on last and most important events or documents
Locating an event
Various mapping tools are also available allowing geo-localization of events and creation of maps.
Evaluating the situation
Some tools have been developed to allow HEDIS users to evaluate real or hypothetical situations:
- Mathematical models have become important tools in analyzing the spread and control of infectious diseases and assist decision makers in taking proper preparedness and prevention measures.
- Interactive Disaster Analysis System providing analysis of the surroundings of a given event (population, activities, hospitals,…)
- Hospitals database containing location and other information about European hospitals