Directorate General Health & Consumers
Nutrition and physical activity
High Level Conference
The High Level Conference on Monitoring and Evaluation of EU and Member States' strategies on nutrition, physical activity, overweight and obesity related health issues took place in Brussels on 8-9 December 2010
The Conference aimed to exchange experiences and views on the progress and the future of policies to help reduce overweight and obesity in the EU; to consolidate monitoring and evaluation processes.
Among the speakers at this event were Jean Marc Delizée, Belgian Secretary of State for Social Affairs; Zsuzsanna Jakab, Director of the World Health Organization's Regional Office for Europe; Glenis Willmott, Member of the European Parliament; Paola Testori Coggi, Director General of DG Health and Consumers and John Dalli, European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Policy.
Different parallel sessions were held wherein experts discussed different themes such as health inequalities, public private partnerships and health in all policies. This conference brought together Member State delegations, the High Level Group on Nutrition and Physical activity, WHO Monitoring National Focal Points and Nutrition Counterparts of the European Region and the EU Platform for action on Diet, Physical Activity and Health.
Mr Magnus Scheving, the impersonator of Sportacus, and the creator of LazyTown™, attended the conference and spoke about his work on promoting healthy diets and physical activity to children.
- Commissioner Dalli gives his closing speech and presents his vision for the way forward for the nutrition strategy
- Despina Spanou, Principal Adviser, Directorate-General Health and Consumers, was the moderator of the entire conference
- Dr. Eva Martos, Director General at the National Institute for Food and Nutrition Science, Hungary, spoke about monitoring and evaluation from a Member State perspective
- Magnus Scheving, the impersonator of Sportacus, gave a vivid presentation on how to move the world
- Glenis Willmott, Member of the European Parliament, provided her perspective on nutrition, overweight and obesity
- Mojca Gabrijelcic, Head of the Health Promotion Centre in Slovenia, spoke about the evaluation of the Slovenian Food and Nutrition National policy
- Some of the speaker's from the first day of the conference (from left to right): Mojca Gabrijelcic, Slovenia; Michel Chauliac, Coordinator of the National nutrition and health program, France; Laurence Doughan, Co-ordinator of the National Food and Health Plan, Belgium; Despina Spanou; Isabelle Laquiere, Co-ordinator of the National Food and Health Plan, Belgium, and Pedro Graça, Portugal.
- Director-General for Health and Consumers, Paola Testori Coggi, speaking on the progress report on the implementation of the nutrition strategy for Europe
- Pedro Graça, National Coordinator of the Platform against Obesity, Portugal, spoke about evaluation of their Platform
- Zsuzsanna Jakab, Regional Director for WHO's Regional Office for Europe, spoke about WHO's progress report on the implementation of the European Charter on counteracting obesity
- Magnus Scheving... "entering" the conference as Sportacus would!
- Magnus Scheving, educating Conference participants in a fun way!
- Conference participants ...at work!
- Magnus Sheving, a.k.a. Sportacus, with Health and Consumers Director-General, Paola Testori Coggi and Principal Advisor, Despina Spanou