Directorate General Health & Consumers
EU in the world
The NDPHS is one of the two Partnerships which stem from the Northern Dimension policy. Its mission is to promote sustainable development of the Northern Dimension area by improving peoples’ health and social well-being. It aims to contribute to this process by intensifying cooperation, assisting the Partners and Participants in capacity building, and by enhancing coordination between international activities within the Northern Dimension area. In doing so, it builds on and supports existing national and international activities within its area of focus, and also promotes efforts addressing issues that are not yet covered by its existing activities.
The European Commission is among the founders of the Northern Dimension Partnership in Health and Social Well-being (NDPHS). Other partners cooperating in this mechanism are:
EU member countries: Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Sweden
Non-EU member countries: Canada, Iceland, Norway, Russia
International Organisations: Barents Euro Arctic Council (BEAC), Council of the Baltic Sea States (CBSS), International Labour Organisation (ILO), International Organisation for Migration (IOM), Nordic Council of Minister (NCM), Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), World Health Organisation (WHO).
Read more at: http://www.ndphs.org/?partners
The NDPHS focuses on two main priority areas:
- The reduction of major communicable diseases and the prevention of lifestyle related non-communicable disease
- The enhancement and promotion of healthy and socially rewarding lifestyles.
Four expert groups (EG) provide professional input to the NDPHS joint activities and work programmes:
- EG HIV/AIDS
- EG Prison Health
- EG Primary Health Care
- EG Social Inclusion, Healthy Lifestyle & Work Ability
The NDPHS is also supported by its two associated expert groups:
- Baltic Sea Network on Occupational Health and Safety;
- CBSS Working Group for Cooperation on Children at Risk.
One example of the Partnership’s cross-cutting, multifaceted efforts is the NDPHS Database Project which is co-funded by the European Union launched in February 2007. The project contains in seven components developing among others:
- Project database, an easy-to-use tool which will provide combined information on projects and processes in place by various donors, organizations, NGOs. Communicable diseases, notably HIV/AIDS, lifestyle related diseases, the use of drugs as well as health promotion in the North European countries are among specific health fields to be covered. The database will also include other relevant information concerning networks and experts active in the Northern Dimension area;
- Project pipeline, helping to coordinate funding of different donor agencies for concrete projects regarding health improvement, and supporting groups active in the Northern Dimension area to identify suitable donors. The projects funded through the pipeline will be made available in the NDPHS Project Database;
- Thematic reports, providing analyses, policy recommendations, best practice, project methods, etc. in certain health areas/geographical areas;
- Dissemination of the results through a variety of information channels, such as e-Newsletter, e-news and press-releases, as well as the new NDPHS website - a new gateway to information about public health and social well-being in Northern Europe.