Outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease in Western Africa
Latest update of this page: 08.04.2016
05 November 2015 - Summary report - High-Level Conference draws lessons from Ebola
12-14 October 2015 - High-Level Conference draws lessons from Ebola
The current outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease (EBV) in West Africa is of serious concern. The outbreak involves four countries - Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nigeria, and is expected to last many months.
The European Commission is closely working with the EU Member States within the Health Security Committee (HSC) to keep them informed about the latest developments and to coordinate approaches on prevention and preparation for Ebola, in accordance with Decision 1082/2013/EU on serious cross border health threats .
The Commission’s Health & Food Safety Directorate-General has been closely monitoring the event in cooperation with the ECDC and the World Health Organisation (WHO) since news of the outbreak broke in March 2014. The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) is producing risk assessments, epidemiological updates and other information. The risk of importation to the EU is considered very low, in particular if returning travellers and healthcare providers are properly informed and are aware of the risk.
The Commission is working with Member States, the WHO and other organisations to support the affected countries, with the Directorate General for Humanitarian AID and Civil Protection (ECHO) leading the coordination of EU support. The Commission is also boosting its investment in Ebola research.
Information for travellers
A traveller advice leaflet produced by ECDC and endorsed by the HSC is available in all EU languages (updated: 21.10.2014).
- From emergency to recovery: EU mobilises efforts to end Ebola and alleviate its impact (3 March 2015)
- EU response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa (2 March 2015)
- EU research efforts at front line of fight against Ebola (16 January 2015)
- Ebola: Review of exit screening procedures at international airports in affected countries (15 December 2014)
- The European Union's response to Ebola emergency (8 December 2014)
- EU Ebola Response: Member States send additional health personnel to the region (6 December 2014)
- EU boosts anti-Ebola aid after Commissioners' mission to worst-hit countries (17 November 2014)
- Ebola: Commission organises meeting with European health professionals (12 November 2014)
- Ebola experts supported by EU-wide platform: a new initiative on Ebola, as Commissioners prepare to visit affected region (11 November 2014)
- “Ebola+” call for proposals: € 280 million to tackle Ebola under a joint EU-pharmaceutical industry initiative (6 November 2014)
- Ebola response: EU scales up aid with planes, material aid and research support (6 November 2014)
- Ebola response: EU Ebola Coordinator Stylianides and EU Commissioner for Health Andriukaitis to visit Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea from 12-16th November (5 November 2014)
- European Union to boost Ebola research with €24.4 million (23 October 2014)
- Opening Speaking Note at the Ebola High Level Co-ordination Meeting (16 October 2014)
- Questions and answers: Ebola and health implications for the EU (15 October 2014)
- Infographics – Ebola spread & reducing transmission risks (9 October 2014)
- Ebola Crisis: EU organises airlift operation to West Africa (7 October 2014)
- Speech - “The EU is fully engaged in the fight against Ebola" (26 September 2014)
- A European-wide response to the Ebola epidemic (15 September 2014)
- The EU's response to help fight the Ebola outbreak in West Africa (15 September 2014)
- EU announces €140m package in response to Ebola virus outbreak (05 September 2014)
- Commissioner Tonio Borg statement (08 August 2014)
Don’t mistake the flu or a common cold symptoms with Ebola. In this short video, the European Union and the World Health Organisation want to reassure citizens who fear an Ebola outbreak in the EU. The risk of the virus spreading in EU territories is indeed very low, thanks to high health standards and preventive care.
- EFSA/ECDC - Ebola and pets: EFSA and ECDC assess risks (4 December 2014)
- EFSA - EFSA assesses the risk of transmission of Ebola through bushmeat (4 November 2014)
- ECDC - Options to prepare gatherings in the EU in the context of the current outbreak of EVD in West Africa (29 October 2014)
- ECDC - Risk assessment on outbreak on Ebola Virus Disease in West Africa (17 October 2014)
- ECDC - Infection prevention and control measures for Ebola virus disease: Entry and exit screening measures (13 October 2014)
- ECDC - Risk of transmission of Ebola virus via donated blood and other substances of human origin in the EU (06 October 2014)
- ECDC - Assessment and planning for medical evacuation by air to the EU of patients with Ebola virus disease and people exposed to Ebola virus (22 September 2014)
- ECDC - Proposal for EU Ebola virus disease case definition
- European Commission - Newsroom
- European Commission - Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection - News page
- European Commission - DG Research and Innovation
- EEAS - European External Action Services
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)
- European Medicines Agency (EMA)
WHO - World Health Organisation
US CDC - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention