New rules on treatment and reimbursement
Over the last decade, the EU Court of Justice has issued rulings confirming the right for patients to be treated outside their home country and reimbursed under certain conditions, but the applicable rules were still not entirely clear.
Directive 2011/24/EU on patients' rights in cross-border healthcare clarifies these rules. In addition:
- it creates a network of national contact points to provide clear, accurate information on cross-border healthcare
- it helps EU countries share experiences on how to provide patients with the best possible care, for example using new health technologies.
Before you go...
- know the terms and conditions which apply both to the care you will receive and any reimbursement to which you're entitled
- be adequately informed about the quality and safety of the treatment offered elsewhere
- know how to make a complaint and find appropriate solutions in case something goes wrong.