Directorate-General for Health and Food Safety
Conference 'Which priorities for a European policy on multimorbidity?'
Brussels, 27 October 2015
Multimorbidity, usually defined as the co-occurrence of two or more chronic conditions in one person, has become the norm rather than the exception in primary care patients and is set to become more prevalent as our populations age. Multimorbidity is therefore a growing concern in our society and a challenge facing patients, health professionals and health systems' sustainability.
Using interactive formats, this conference provided a unique opportunity for healthcare professionals, researchers, policy-makers, professionals from the pharmaceutical and ICT industry, insurers and patient representatives to share experiences and existing knowledge on multimorbidity from regional models of care to research and decision-making tools. Building upon success stories and innovative practices, participants learnt about the evidence base to support a change of mind-set from disease-oriented management to patient-oriented care. Participants were also invited to reflect on how to overcome the barriers to achieve a common framework to work on multimorbidity.
This was a conference with a difference: you will not only be listening to inspiring stories and speakers but are invited to actively contribute, collaborate and network.
The 'Which priorities for a European policy on multimorbidity?' conference was an invitation to everyone interested in management of patients with multiple illnesses to come together to:
- Raise awareness on the relevance and urgency to deal with multimorbidity
- Share experiences and practices in the management of multimorbidity
- Learn from innovative healthcare approaches
- Explore together how to address the barriers to address a common framework on multimorbidity
- Create a common engagement across stakeholders to start addressing the issue at European level
- Conclusions of the conference: inputs and highlights put forward by the participants
- Booklet "Which priorities for a European policy on multimorbidity?"
- EC Multimorbidity Conference Final Report
- Contact: MultimorbidityConference@propager.eu
- Venue: Thon Hotel EU, Brussels
- Comments: Please join the discussion on #MultimorbidityEU – the conference hashtag
Participatory sessions of the conference (Part 1)
Participatory sessions of the conference (Part 2)
Graphic Recording by Gabriele Heinzel & Julian Kücklich