Decree updating the new technical standards for buildings
Communication from the Commission - TRIS/(2017) 00291
Directive (EU) 2015/1535
Translation of the message 001
No abre el plazo - Nezahajuje odklady - Fristerne indledes ikke - Kein Fristbeginn - Viivituste perioodi ei avata - Καμμία έναρξη προθεσμίας - Does not open the delays - N'ouvre pas de délais - Non fa decorrere la mora - Neietekmē atlikšanu - Atidėjimai nepradedami - Nem nyitja meg a késéseket - Ma’ jiftaħx il-perijodi ta’ dawmien - Geen termijnbegin - Nie otwiera opóźnień - Não inicia o prazo - Neotvorí oneskorenia - Ne uvaja zamud - Määräaika ei ala tästä - Inleder ingen frist - Не се предвижда период на прекъсване - Nu deschide perioadele de stagnare - Nu deschide perioadele de stagnare.
1. Structured Information Line
MSG 002 IND 2017 0043 I EN 06-02-2017 I NOTIF
2. Member State
3. Department Responsible
MINISTERO DELLO SVILUPPO ECONOMICO
Direzione generale per il mercato, la concorrenza, il consumatore, la vigilanza e la normativa tecnica
Divisione XIII - Normativa tecnica e sicurezza e conformità dei prodotti
00187 Roma - Via Sallustiana, 53
tel. +39 06 4705.5430 - .5340 - e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Originating Department
MINISTERO DELLE INFRASTRUTTURE E DEI TRASPORTI
4. Notification Number
2017/0043/I - B20
Decree updating the new technical standards for buildings
6. Products Concerned
7. Notification Under Another Act
8. Main Content
The first of the three articles in the notified draft approves the updated text of the technical standards for buildings; this text is attached and forms an integral part of the decree. The new standards replace those approved by the Ministerial Decree of 14 January 2008.
Article 2 states the duration of the transitional period, following the entry into force of the revised technical standards, during which the existing technical standards may continue to apply to ongoing public or public utility works, already awarded public works contracts, already awarded works with final designs and working drawings and specifications, as well as private works whose structural works are ongoing or for which the working drawings and specifications have already been submitted to the competent offices.
Article 3 states that the technical standards approved by the decree shall enter into force 30 days following its publication in the Official Gazette of the Italian Republic.
The annex contains 12 chapters regarding specifications for the following:
2.- Safety and services to be provided
3.- Actions on buildings
4.- Civil and industrial buildings
6.- Geotechnical design
7.- Design for seismic actions
8.- Existing buildings
9.- Static testing
10.- Preparation of structural building plans and calculations
11.- Materials and products for structural use
12.- Technical references.
9. Brief Statement of Grounds
Adopting the decree is necessary to provide the envisaged update of the new technical standards for buildings in the Ministerial Decree of 14 January 2008 in order to ensure harmonised safety levels for buildings.
10. Reference Documents - Basic Texts
Reference(s) to basic text(s): Decree of 14 January 2008 approving the new technical standards for buildings; final text corresponding to Notification No 2007/0513/I;
Decree of 26 June 2014 on technical standards for the design and construction of containment structures (dams and barriers): final text corresponding to Notification No 2014/0068/I.
11. Invocation of the Emergency Procedure
12. Grounds for the Emergency
14. Fiscal measures
15. Impact assessment
16. TBT and SPS aspects
No - the draft has no significant impact on international trade.
No - the draft is neither a sanitary nor phytosanitary measure.
Contact point Directive (EU) 2015/1535
Fax: +32 229 98043
The TRIS website makes it easy for you or your organization to contribute with your opinion on any given notification.
Due to the end of standstill we are currently not accepting any further contributions for this notification via the website.
Comments on the Decree of renovation of the Norme Techniche per le Costruzioni, received on February 6th, 2017, notification Nr. 2017/43/I
On the behalf of FIB, the French Federation for precast concrete products, Emmanuel Wagner working at CERIB, the French Research Centre for Concrete Industry expresses FIB concerns regarding the new version of "Norme Techniche per le Costruzioni (NTC 2017)".
As all 37 parts of Eurocodes are published with their national annexes since 2012, we ask to the Commission to take into consideration that all products placed on the market shall be kept and that no unfair competition is introduced.
This is the reason why the Commission should modify Chapter 7.4.5 allowing the use of both NTC 2017 and Eurocodes.
Head of standardization Service
Roma, 28 April 2017
ANDIL, the Italian Association of Clay Brick and Roof Tile Producers, is reported as gathering about 66 companies in Italy, including not only large international groups, but also a large group of SMEs (98%). In Italy 116 factories, with more than 4,000 workers, produce different types of clay construction products in particular for residential building in its various forms (masonry, roofing, partition walls, veneers, flooring and horizontal structures). In 2015, the Italian brick/tiles industry produced over 5.2 million tons, with a value of approx 400 mln EUR.
ANDIL is writing to you on behalf of the Italian clay industry to express its concerns regarding clay brick/block masonry requirements in the framework of the “Decree updating the new technical standards for buildings” namely “Norme Tecniche per le Costruzioni – NTC”, notified to the European Commission.
During the reviewing period several pronouncements have been presented to the MIT (Italian Ministry of Infrastructures and Transports) by ANDIL, through the Federazione Confindustria Ceramica e Laterizi, to better improve the Code. Taking into account the importance of the topic, it is meant to express here “the two critics” that still remain:
the heavy limitation of the use of “thin layer joints” for the masonry structures in seismic areas;
the alarming disorder regarding the definition of the "assembled" and "built at the construction site" types for the non-structural elements.
(1) With reference to these specific issues, it is noted that even the "Explanatory report" prepared by MIT - to comment the Decree and to go deeper on the reasons of the changes introduced therein – does not explain, neither clarify, the heavy limitation and the confused definition.
In particular, the "Explanatory report" of the MIT highlights the introduction to § 4.5 of the "thin layer mortar bed joints (0.5 - 3 mm thickness) and / or unfilled perpend joints" and justifies its restricted use: "it is noted that the masonry built with unfilled perpend joints is present in the Eurocodes and national Annexes published after the D.M. 14/01/2008. However, taking into account that this type of masonry has a shear strength less than that realized with filled vertical joints, and the deformation capacity under seismic loads lower than those of the masonry with filled perpend joints, its use has been limited to low seismic areas for buildings up to 2 or 3 storeys, according to the seismic level."
It is, thus, explained the reason of the limitation of the solely masonry with the unfilled perpend joints, totally missing the explanation about the limitation of the thin layer bed joints.
In § 7.8, the limited use in low seismic areas - more accurately, for buildings characterized at the SLV (Life Safety Limit State) by ag·S ≤ 0,15 g - is also valid for thin layer mortar bed joints, without any explanations in the MIT report on this point!
The great problem that comes from this limitation is that if the masonry provides the mortar filled pocket (equivalent to ordinary masonry, as recognized by the new NTC) and the bed joint is thin, this system could be used only in areas with a hazard level minimum or low, that means useful just in a few Italian territories.
After continuous recommendations to the MIT and all other competent Offices, the updated NTC text still includes these unacceptable penalties. Finally, considering the several experimental validations and effective demonstrations of good seismic behaviour of these systems during the recent Italian earthquakes, an intervention on the Decree becomes crucial.
On this point, ANDIL already reported the post-seismic reconnaissance of modern clay buildings in Emilia  (see Dossier IT).
Since the Eurocodes allow the use of thin layer joints for the masonry structures, this kind of limitation drives to a deep market trade barrier.
(2) A further clarification is needed on the non-structural elements; in the MIT “Explanatory report” is highlighted at § 7.2.3 that “the tasks for each professional figure (structural designers, suppliers/technicians, site engineers) are defined, as far as anti-seismic design and installation of non-structural elements are concerned”. Actually, it is all than a clarification.
It seems there is a deep confusion on definition of the "assembled" and "built at the construction site" types, by penalizing clay bricks/blocks in favour of precast systems. This must be read in addition to the dangerous consequences that could affect trade.
Thus, the amendments here below are required:
The National Council of Geologists indicated that in the text of the NEW TECHNICAL STANDARDS FOR CONSTRUCTION notified by Italy to the European Commission, with n. 2017/0043 / I - B20, show the following
Incongruities and Issues
1. The section 6.2. ("articulation of the project") should be replaced in its entirety by the following sentence, in order to make clear the importance of a geological report as an integral part of the geotechnical design: "The design of geotechnical works and interventions should be structured in accordance with the following sequence reported:
1. choosing the type of work and intervention;
2. Programming of the investigations and trials in preparation for the design;
3. characterization and site geological modeling and 'significant geomorphological context;
4. Physical-mechanical characterization of soils and rocks present in significant volume and definition of geotechnical models of the subsoil;
5. defining stages and modalities of a building;
6. verifications of safety and performance;
7. planning of activities of a control and monitoring. "
2. In paragraphs 6.2.1. ("Site Characterization and geological modeling") and 6.2.2. ("Investigations, geotechnical characterization and modeling") it's expected that the investigations preparatory to geotechnical design are of two different types: (a) "geological" investigations and (b) investigations and tests of "geotechnical nature", of which is responsible the designer. Actually, the campaign of preliminary investigations at the geotechnical design should be unitary. In addition, in those paragraphs they should be distinguished the elaborate professional geotechnical, foreseeing that:
a) one - (signed as a rule, by a different professional from the one who write the report project geotechnical)- must contain the report on the investigation (soil and subsoil) and modeling of the significant volume geotechnical (descriptive of the soil and subsoil answers);
b) another must contain the geotechnical report of project concerning the specification of the whole project-land and its response to stress, full of checks and calculations on buildings to build.
3. In paragraph 6.2.1. not include that the geological report must contain specific references and studies on matters relating to the seismicity of the places where will be realized the constructions. It's necessary, instead, to provide that this report have to contain the definition and characterization of the seismic aspects of the territory and the environment in which it is expected the construction to be carried because they are essential for the analysis of the seismic response, also in order to determine when it is actually necessary.
The amendments to the text of the New Technical Standards for Construction notified, as described above, are of paramount importance, since the anomalies and problems create a difference between the design geotechnical codified at Community level and the one that is being developed in Italy.
Consequently, these new regulations are also potentially incompatible with the directives on the free movement of services or freedom of establishment of service operators within the Community market.
We are confident that the Commission will take due account of the observations above resigned, and the National Council of Geologists remains available for any further information and thanks in advance.
With best regards.
Commenti al Decreto di aggiornamento delle Norme Tecniche per le Costruzioni, ricevuto dalla Commissione il 6 febbraio 2017 col titolo “Bozza di norma NTC 2017”, numero di notifica 2017/43/I
see attached document