Navigation path

Recognition of professional experience

If you work in the craft, commerce or industry sector, your professional experience may qualify for automatic recognition in another EU country. There are two ways of getting your qualifications recognised:

  1. you may request automatic recognition for your qualifications on the basis of your professional experience. The required minimum duration and nature of the professional experience are laid down in Directive 2005/36/EC on the recognition of professional qualifications, Articles 17 19.
  2. if you do not meet the required professional experience conditions, you may request mutual recognition for your qualifications on the basis of the general system

If the authorities of the host country find significant differences between the training acquired in your country of origin (including your professional experience) and that required for the same work in the host country, they may ask you to complete a traineeship or aptitude test.