Business Innovation Observatory
The Business Innovation Observatory provides regular evidence on the latest innovative trends in business and industry, including how innovative solutions are developed and brought to market, as well as their impact on the economy.
Watch the promotional video:
The Observatory has been set up for an initial period of three years, divided by semester. Each semester is dedicated to a limited number of innovation trends, to be investigated through:
- some 10 case studies, covering the success stories of several innovative companies
- a trend report, drawing on the case studies and outcome of the workshop/conference. This is used to provide specific policy recommendations for supporting the analysed business innovation trends
- a workshop/conference, as an interactive forum to engage the business community, policy makers, industry experts and academia, in a discussion on the evidence gathered.
The objectives of the Business Innovation Observatory are to:
- identify the latest innovation trends emerging in the European institutional, political, legal, and socio-economic context – for example, the Internet of Things and clean technologies
- identify the dynamics of good business practices of innovative companies, with a special focus on small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
- understand the barriers to innovation and propose policy tools to overcome them
- nurture 'win-win' relationships between entrepreneurs, policy makers, innovation facilitators and researchers
- enhance awareness of the latest business innovation trends, success stories, and related business opportunities and barriers, through case studies, trend reports and workshops/conferences
- disseminate the project's findings via the website and social media tools of the Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs.
Infographics on the innovative trends
Presentation of the Business Innovation Observatory (215 kB)
Join us on LinkedIn to engage with European innovation stakeholders.
Your opinion counts. Feel free to contact us.