The workshop was opened by representatives of the Government of Greenland and the European Commission. It began with a presentation on the potential of raw materials in Greenland.
It was supported by a study commissioned by the Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs, Milieu, Geus, and the Öko-Institut on EU-Greenland cooperation with regard to raw materials. The study took into consideration the EU's critical raw materials list and the needs of EU industry.
The workshop covered many topics including:
- aeromagnetic acquisition of data;
- social, economic and environmental impact of mining;
- provision of support services for the mining sector;
- mining and management of radioactive ores;
- setting of a proper regulatory framework;
- experience gathered through the Kimberly process.
The economy of Greenland and a specific mining project were also presented at the event.