Certain food and feed of non-animal origin are subject to increased levels of official import controls, as set out in Regulation (EC) No 669/2009. The enhanced control mechanism means that competent authorities will:
- carry out systematic (100%) checks on documents accompanying the consignments,
- conduct physical checks, including laboratory analysis, at a frequency related to the risk identified.
The list of products subject to increased level of attention and control at borders is included in Annex I to the Regulation. It is regularly updated based on information from various sources, including:
- notifications received through the Rapid Alert System for Food and Feed (RASFF);
- reports from the Food and Veterinary Office (FVO);
- EU Member States and non-EU countries.
Designated Points of Entry (DPEs)
Consignments of certain food and feed subject to increased controls must be presented at specially designated and equipped inspection posts for the carrying out of the necessary checks. These controls must be carried out at the point of entry in the EU before the goods are released for free circulation.
List of Designated Points of Entry for certain food and feed of non-animal origin
|Austria||Italy: Food - Feed|
|Bulgaria: Food - Feed||Lithuania|
|Czech Republic: Food - Feed||Netherlands|
|Denmark: Food - Feed||Poland: Food - Feed|
|Estonia: Food - Feed||Portugal|
|France: Food - Feed||Slovakia|
|Germany: Food - Feed||Slovenia: Food - Feed|
|Greece: EN - EL||Spain: Food - Feed|
DPEs operating under specific geographical constraints
Article 9(1) of Regulation (EC) No 669/2009 gives possibility for the competent authority of a certain DPE, which operates under special geographical circumstances, to carry out physical checks at approved feed and food business premises, following special authorization from the Commission.
To date the following authorizations have been granted by the Commission:
- Commission Decision of 07 June 2010 authorising physical checks to be carried out at approved premises of feed and food business operators in Cyprus;
- Commission Decision of 18 August 2010 authorising physical checks to be carried out at approved premises of feed and food business operators in Malta.