DG Health and Consumers
- Current languageen
The EU sets rules for the sustainable use of pesticides to reduce the risks and impacts of pesticide use on people's health and the environment (Directive 2009/128/EC). Currently, these rules only apply to plant protection products but the intention is to include biocides too.
Actions for sustainable use of pesticides
- National Action Plans - EU countries adopt them setting objectives and timetables to reduce risks and impacts of pesticide use;
Training - Professional pesticide users, distributors and advisors get proper training.
EU countries establish competent authorities and certification systems;
- Poisoning - Monitoring systems gather information on acute poisoning incidents and chronic poisoning developments;
- Aerial spraying - Aerial spraying is prohibited. EU countries may allow it under strict conditions after warning people;
- Minimising or banning - EU countries minimise or ban the use of pesticides in critical areas for environmental and health reasons;
- Integrated pest management - Promotion of low pesticide-input management including non-chemical methods. Professional users have until 1 January 2014 to implement it.
Sustainable use of pesticides - environmental aspects