DG Health and Consumers
- Current languageen
- Legislation on GMO cultivation
- Authorisation procedure
- EU Register of authorised GMOs
- Monitoring after authorisation
- Trans-boundary movement
- Contained use
- New breeding techniques
- Evaluation of GMO cultivation
- Reports & studies
Seed & propagation material
- EU rules
- EU marketing requirements
- Conservation varieties
- EU legislation
- Review of EU rules
- Equivalence requirements for non-EU countries
- Plant variety catalogues & databases
- Plant genetic resources
- Plant health - Biosafety
- Plant property rights
- Standing commitees
EU certification ensures the quality of seed potatoes. EU countries can market only officially certified seed potatoes.
Seed must fulfil the criteria in Directive 2002/56/EC:
- Health and quality standards e.g. the presence of blackleg and common scab ;
- Seed identity;
- Requirements for minimum size.
Marketing is with reference to the variety.
The Commission adopts measures related to the Directive together with national experts in the Standing Committee on Seeds & Propagating Material for Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry & Vine.