What if an import doesn't meet EU standards?
One or more of these measures applies:
- All or part of the consignment will be refused entry into the EU;
- Infected/infested consignment is removed from the EU;
- Infected/infested produce is removed from the consignment;
- The consignment is destroyed;
- Quarantine is imposed until test results are complete and available;
- Appropriate treatment of the consignment if the EU country's official authority considers that it will eliminate the risk of spreading harmful organisms. This measure can only be used exceptionally in specific circumstances and only for harmful organisms that are not listed in Annex I or II of Directive 2000/29/EC.
EU countries must notify any such consignments and the measures taken using the EU database "EUROPYHT".