Main Actions for sustainable use of pesticides
- National Action Plans- EU countries adopt them setting objectives and timetables to reduce risks and impacts of pesticide use;
Training - Professional pesticide users, distributors and advisors get proper training.
EU countries establish competent authorities and certification systems;
- Information and awareness raising - Member States shall take measures to inform the general public and put in place systems to gather information on acute poisoning incidents and chronic poisoning developments;
- Aerial spraying - Aerial spraying is prohibited. EU countries may allow it under strict conditions after warning people;
- Minimising or banning - EU countries minimise or ban the use of pesticides in critical areas for environmental and health reasons;
- Inspection of equipment in use – All pesticides application equipment will have to be inspected at least once by 2016 to grant a proper efficient use of any plant protection product;
- Integrated pest management - Promotion of low pesticide-input management including non-chemical methods. Professional users will have to apply general principles of IPM from 1 January 2014.
Sustainable use of pesticides - environmental aspects