Comments on the DG SANCO Consultation of Consumer Organisations, Industry concerned and other interested parties on the strategy for completion of the positive list of food and food ingredients to be authorised for Irradiation Treatment (Annex of Directive 1999/3/EC)
On 27 September 2000, DG SANCO sent a consultation paper on food irradiation to 5 European consumer organisations and 8 European industry associations, addressing in particular the question of which foodstuffs should be authorised for irradiation treatment in the Community. The paper was also put on the web site of DG Health and Consumer Protection to give other interested parties the possibility to comment.
A total of 33 comments on this paper were received from the following:
- 2 European consumer organisations,
- 6 national consumer organisations,
- 1 international industry organisation,
- 5 European industry organisations,
- 3 national industry organisations,
- 6 other European or national associations,
- the United States Government
- the FAO/WHO International Consultative Group on Food Irradiation,
- 4 companies and
- 4 others.
The organisations/companies/persons which sent comments
agreed to make their opinions available to the public.
The comments were shortened to focus on the main arguments and to make reading as efficient as possible. Only one organisation asked to publish its full comment which is enclosed as Annex I. The same Annex contains the US Government comments.
► View/download comments in pdf format (114 KB) updated