Causes of food waste
Food is wasted throughout the entire food chain: by farmers, by the food industry, by retailers, by caterers and by consumers. The reasons are diverse and sector specific.
The main causes are:
- Lack of awareness, lack of shopping planning, confusion about "best before" and" use by" date labels, lack of knowledge on how to cook with leftovers (households).
- Standard portion sizes, difficulty to anticipate the number of clients (catering);
- Stock management inefficiencies, marketing strategies (2 for 1, buy 1 get 1 free), aesthetic issues (retail);
- Overproduction, product & packaging damage (farmers and food manufacturing);
- Inadequate storage (whole food chain);
- Inadequate packaging.