All additives in the EU must be authorised and listed with conditions of use in the EU's 'positive' list based on:
- A safety assessment;
- The technological need;
- Ensuring that use of the additive will not mislead consumers.
Regulation EC 1333/2008 sets the rules on food additives: definitions, conditions of use, labelling and procedures.
- Technological functions of food additives: Annex I
- Union list of food additives approved for use in food additives and conditions of use: Annex II
- Union list of food additives approved for use in food additives, food enzymes and food flavourings, and their conditions of use.: Annex III
- Traditional foods for which certain Member States may continue to prohibit the use of certain categories of food additives: Annex IV
- Additives labelling information for certain food colours: Annex V
The Commission will change the EU lists of food additives with regulations through regulatory procedure with scrutiny (Decision 1999/468/EC).
Producers must inform the Commission of new information which may affect the safety assessment of the food additive.
Labelling of food additives added to food
Rules on labelling of food additives that have been added to food