Legislation on specific materials
Directive 84/500/EEC :
- Sets migration limits for cadmium and lead which might be released from decoration and/or glazing;
- Gives the analytical method determining the migration of these substances.
Regenerated cellulose film
Directive 2007/42/EC :
- Lists authorised substances and conditions for their use;
- Includes provisions for plastic coated regenerated cellulose film.
Recycled plastic materials
Regulation EC 282/2008 :
- Sets requirements for recycled plastics to be used in food contact materials; and
- Introduces an authorisation procedure of recycling processes used in the manufacture of recycled plastics for food contact use.
Active and intelligent materials and articles
Regulation EC 450/2009:
- Adds requirements to Regulation EC 1935/2004 for their safe use;
- Introduces an authorisation scheme for substances used for active and intelligent functions in food contact materials.
Regulation EU/10/2011 sets the rules for plastic food contact materials.
The following Regulations amend the rules in EU 10/2011:
What does the Regulation cover?
- Printed or coated plastic materials and articles;
- Printed or coated plastic multi-layer materials and articles held together by adhesives or other;
- Plastic layers or coatings forming gaskets in caps and closures that make a set of 2 or more layers of different types of materials;
- Plastic layers in multi-material, multi-layer materials and articles.
What rules does the Regulation set?
- Union List of authorised monomers and additives for use in plastics manufacture;
- Restrictions and specification for authorised substances including specific migration limits;
- Rules on non-intentionally added substances i.e. impurities and reaction products;
- Overall migration limit;
- Rules on compliance especially migration testing, listing simulants, testing conditions;
- The concept of functional barrier;
- Authorisation for nano-materials before use;
- Declaration of compliance and supporting documentation.
What does the Regulation replace?
What does the Regulation consolidate?
What does the Regulation repeal?