Genetically Modified Food and Feed - Reports and Studies - Council request on socio-economic implications of GMO cultivation in the EU
Following the Council request in December 2008, the Commission asked EU countries to:
- Report ex post on the socio-economic impact of GMOs cultivated in their territory;
- Assess ex ante the possible socio-economic implications of future GMOs cultivation.
- EU countries to collect information on socio-economic implications of the marketing of GMOs;
- the Commission to report to the Council and European Parliament by June 2010.
Several EU countries raised consideration of socio-economic factors in the authorisation of GMOs for cultivation at:
- Environment Council - 2 March 2009;
- Agriculture Council - 23 March 2009;
- Environment Council - 25 June 2009.